Unable to Connect to TIDAL/Reinstalling RoonServer on Synology

But regardless whether try to install RoonServer on the external SSD or the internal NAS disks, the result is the same:

Failed to install “Roon Server”:

/tmp //could not download installation archive from roon labs website. please check your internet connection

Hi @LJB,

Can you share a screenshot of the error message?
Are you able to access any logs on the QNAP?

Getting log files

Manually getting Roon Server’s log files

You can manually download Roon Server’s log files. Access your database storage location with your computer (or use Synology’s File Station). The log files are stored in the Logs folder in the RoonServer and RAATServer directory.

I have a Synology NAS. Can access anything, but since RoonServer is not installed, there would not be any log files? Sorry - I am not really a technical person :frowning:

Double forward slash “/tmp//”

Apologies, I don’t understand that comment.

In teh screenshot you shared, the path is incorrect. There is a double forward slash //

That is the error message that appears… does this mean there is an error in the script to download and install the files from Roon Lab’s website?

I downloaded the installation file for Synology from here and it did work once in the past:

https://roononnas.org/en/roon-on-nas/

Hi @LJB,

Do you have any firewalls active on the NAS which could be preventing the connection to the servers that contain the package? If you manually try to download the Synology .SPK, are you able to do so?
https://roononnas.org/builds/Synology/RoonServer_Synology_x86_64_2018-03-07.spk

Here’s a manual SPK install guide I found (manual install instructions towards the bottom):
Manual SPK Install Guide

Hi @LJB,
sorry for the trouble.
can you post a screenshot of the shared folder setting of your USB device?
You can select your USB device in the “Shared folder” section of the Synology “Control Panel” and click edit on the top window.

It should look similar to this picture (which is not a taken from a USB device):

1 Like

I just updated spk to show better info in the installation wizard and it should also handle error message better during installation. You could give it a try, as it might help finding the cause of the issue.

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Thanks, Chris. First, here’s the screenshot and then I’ll try the new spk file.

This is the error message I get when trying to install the new spk:

Reply to Noris’ earlier questions. Firewall, yes, but it should not prevent the download of these files since I have not encountered any problems with other files and the Roon files worked well when I had it installed the first time a couple of months ago. I am familiar with the manual installation process and cannot see that I would have missed anything.

This screenshot of the error helps (even though I mixed up, the error message text in the new spk, which I just fixed).
There are 2 possible causes for this error.
Your Diskstation can‘t download from the RoonLabs website or your ˋ/tmpˋ directory is either full or non-writable.

If you have not tried already, you could do a restart of your diskstation. It should clear the ˋ/tmpˋ directory. If it does not help, it is probably related to the internet connectivity of your diskstation.

I will also try to implement these checks to be reflected in the error message.

Once again, thanks so much for taking the time.

A short summary of my setup:

Synology NAS DX517 with an external USB disk connected. The NAS has nothing else on it other than my music files and iso-images of all my DVD and Blu-Ray disks, both in separate folders. The extzernal USB disk has been completely empty for the installation of RoonServer and it is properly named RoonServer. The NAS is connected to the internet via my switch with a 1 GB ethernet cable. The internet connection cannot be the problem - it is a 1GB connection and I usually get a speed of around 800Mbps for downloads. And all other software packages on the NAS install and update swiftly.

Trying to resolve the issue today:

1. I removed the external USB disk and created a new shared folder on the NAS itself named RoonServer. Did not work - same error message.

2. I deleted the newly created shared folder (1. above) on the NAS and connected a completely new and clean USB disk and named it RoonServer. Did also not work - same error message.

I would like to emphasize again that the installation of RoonServer worked properly a couple of month ago and it has been running smoothly ever since. Due to a problem connecting to TIDAL, I removed the installation and tried to setup Roon again from scratch. Only then did I come across this problem. I have not made any changes to my network, firewall or NAS since the first installation of RoonServer. Of course, some software may have updated automatically.

I don’t want to take up more of your time and if there is no other quick thought you might have, I will just run Roon from my PC only - not ideal since I always have to leave the machine on and the Roon app running.

Correction, I meant to say Synology NAS DX517 (although it doesn’t make a difference).

Thanks for the info, @LJB.
I updated the spk again. When the error occurs again, it should show the free space in your /tmp directory and also give a http status code of the Roonlabs download url.
There is another option to install Roon Server, in case the issue is caused by the internet connectivity. But I’d like to verify the root cause first.

Thank you so much. The following is the error message that appears now: