Unable to migrate from Windows to Linux

Roon Core Machine

Source PC:
Windows 10

Destination PC:
audiolinux

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have a large database that I have carefully backed up for years, since it was lost a few years ago. I used to use linux until it was reported that the larger collections had issues with mono libraries. I have used Windows without problem since then. I’ve read reports that the issues with large collections and linux are a thing of the past and would like to return to linux.

I have tried various approaches to move the DB across without success:

Attempt 1:

Backed up on Windows to separate NAS box, restored on the new Linux box - no dice!
I initially got this message:

Followed by this:

Attempt 2:

Tried alternative backup.

Same result.

Attempt 3:

Manually copied db etc across from windows > NAS > new linux PC

Same resut.

Attempt 4:

Bypassed the NAS box and used USB stick.
Same result.

Attempt 5:
I then decided to get creative and found a suggestion in an old post that said to remove Database/Registry/Storage/loc* files.
No change
Attempt 6:
I removed the Cache folder…same result.

The logs indicate an out of memory error being reported:

11/12 21:50:50 Critical: Library.EndMutation: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.AllocateUninitializedClone(Object obj)
at System.Object.MemberwiseClone()
at Sooloos.Concurrency.IdObject.MemberwiseClone()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryTrack.Copy()
at Sooloos.Concurrency.SharedObject`2.WriteBarrier(Boolean debug)
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryTrack.OnCompute(LibraryMutationEnv env)
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryMutationEnv.Finish()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.Library.EndMutation()

I’d appreciate some help with resolving this please.

The correct approach is to use the Roon application to back up the database to disk, and then import this after switching servers. Ideally, use the same backup location for restoring the database–do not attempt to copy the backup. Use a portable hard disk or SSD if possible. Alternatively, backup to a network share on your NAS.

Please follow the steps in this help guide.

1 Like

Thanks Martin, this was my first route to get this done. It failed for me. However, I cannot reliably tell that there was no spinner visible at the point of taking a backup. (see below image). So, I will check this and report back.

Hi, I have now followed this to the letter - I receive the same message upon logging into the linux server, following migrating the DB using the above method.
I can confirm that all the tracks etc had completed synching / updating (ie no spinner).

I’m still getting the memory_exception error in the logs.

The device I’m running is Intel i9 9900k with 64G RAM.

I’m happy to submit logs if someone can take a look please?

Just to follow up, I have now checked to see if I’m using the latest versions of the app and looking here https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-install#Manual_Install the linux version is 2.0.1311 and the windows version is 1353 (although this page says they are all at 1353: Roon 2.0 -- Current Production Versions)

Can anyone confirm which is correct from above?
Would the support team mind if I send them some logs to look at?

I have uploaded a set of logs showing the attempts to migrate the library across to a new server. Tonight I experimented on a different server. Faster CPU and 128Gb RAM - same result I’m afraid.

I really would appreciate some help to resolve.

You’ll find the log set filename submitted with my community name followed by email address.
Thanks.

Are you running the server on bare bones or in a VM?

Incidently, I’m a community member just like you, and don’t work for Roon.

Hi Martin, thanks for getting back to me. Server is bare bones - nothing complicated in terms of hardware/install.

Old server: Windows 10 with Roon Server running as a service
New server: Same hardware running audiolinux OS with Roon Server as service.

Things I tried last night:

• I tried alternative hardware with twice the amount of RAM: same result
  • I tried bare bones ubuntu desktop OS install: same result
  • I speculated that file/folder permission issues could be in play her
  • I uploaded a set of logs to Roon

Re community membership - yes, I appreciate that and thank you for jumping in to help. I have used Roon for years and only very occasionally need to ask for support. When I last did, the process was to post a ticket in the support channel which then was triaged by community volunteers and then a support team member from Roon would jump in. Apologies if I haven’t caught up with any changes around this. I would really like to get a ticket raised so that I can resolve this.

Regards,
Crom

Done a bit of digging and it looks like Roonserver on linux at 1311 is the latest version until the rollout is completed this week. Looks like I will sit tight until both linux and windows versions are on the same versions:

Hey @crom,

Thanks for writing in! A good next step in the process would be to send over a set of Roon logs from the linux device. You can use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

With that, how much RAM is being used at the time of the crash?

When loading up your database for the first time, disable your network storage locations, and then disconnect the cables as well. From there, attempt to re-add each location one at a time and see if the same issue occurs.

Thanks!

Hi @Benjamin thanks for joining the conversation. I did upload logs for you a while back, please see this post: Unable to migrate from Windows to Linux - #8 by crom

Are these ok?

In the meantime, I will try to check on RAM usage and do what you suggest with the network connections. I’ll report back. thanks.

HI @Benjamin did you manage to find the logs I uploaded for you (please see above post)? It’s been a couple of weeks now…would love to get this sorted.

Hi @crom,

Unfortunately, the logs you sent over seem to only be from your RAAT Server, which we’ll also need your Roon Server logs.

If you could please zip up the full package and resend, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Hi @Benjamin
I upgraded the roonserver to be the same version on linux as it was on windows and did a final backup on windows. I then restored into Linux. This appeared to complete correctly. Then Roonserver needed to be restarted. I restarted it on Linux and the UI sprang into action. The Roon loudspeaker animation thing usually runs for about 10 minutes due to the size of my library and this was the same case here. However, it crashed again and I restarted. It crashed again a few minutes later and I restarted. This cycle continued for about 8 times until I decided that I might have reached a position where I had gathered enough information to discern the problem.

The mapping of the drives is obviously not going to be the same on linux as it was on Windows…how can I get this to complete the restore and startup please?

Kind regards,
Crom

Logs have been reuploaded to you from the three apps roonserver/raatserver/goer.

Hi @crom,

Thanks for sending those over! We’re seeing your logs completely fill up with unknown mounting errors in relation to a //Tokyo.local folder.

If possible, I would attempt to temporarily remove this, create a new backup without it, and attempt the restore process again.

Let me know how it goes! :+1:

Thanks @Benjamin I saw that too. It’s the NAS shared drive with all the locally stored music on it. There are about 6 separate folders that I access in the storage.

I can certainly remove those folders in the storage menu in Roon Settings but how does this affect the history and other data? If I remove these folders in my working library will I lose history or any records…or will the system recognise the track when I add the folder again. I can see that working when the folder is present and I just edit its location but not if I remove it - are you able to put my mind at rest here please?

Many thanks for your ongoing support,
Crom

Hi @Benjamin,
I have experimented further over the weekend:

2023.12.16 - deactivated shares and backed up windows installation
2023.12.16 - restored deactivated share backup into linux (left running overnight)
2023.12.17- Roon endpoint reported that library had restored and needed to be restarted. Restarted but nothing in library.

• Other preferences and deactivated drives present in library
  • Qobuz still logged in
  • I was assuming that history and queue would appear and tracks would say ‘unavailable’. Nothing in history

I then restarted roon and had a look at the logs:

• 10:44:32 in logs it’s queueing initial load of 469674 tracks
  • Roon endpoint shows spinner, until
  • 10:54:26 when out of memory error is listed
  • Roon endpoint shows there was an issue loading your library
    Restarted roonserver
  • Repeat of above.

The logs are a lot cleaner without the multiple references to the NAS drives being unable to be mounted.
I was unable to upload the logs to the Zoho system you use as it constantly failed without error message. I’ll try again later on.

Thanks,
Crom

I’ve tried a few times to upload logs to the system today.

log upload procedure having a problem with latest Safari.

Logs ready and waiting for you @Benjamin