Unable to Open Roon App: "Cannot Find Server" (ref#V7P0I6)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Interface & Usability

Description of Issue

My Roon app will not open, it states it Cannot Find Server even though it found my Core and says Ready. I cannot use Roon at all.

Roon Core Platform

macOS

Roon Core Specifications

Mac Mini my Roon has been working for years. Something has changed on your end. Why won’t my app even open?

Connected Audio Devices

Aune DAC

Home Network Details

WiFi cable modem

There was this update:

Try this:

After selecting Click here to update to update your Roon Server build, the Remote device may lose connection with the Server and remain stuck on the Waiting for Roon Server screen.

If you get stuck in the Waiting for Roon Server screen:

• First, check and confirm that your Roon Server is running in the taskbar.
  • If it is, press Select a different Roon Server button and re-connect to your server. This should solve things for you.
    2023-11-08 12_24_52-Window

From the troubleshooting page:

Hi @Dennis_Lento,
Are you still experiencing this issue?

Hi Daniel, Yes, Roon still says “Cannot Find Server”. I tried to select a different server and still have the same problem. I have had ROON for many years so I am beyond frustrated.

Hey @Dennis_Lento,

Ben stepping in for Daniel while he’s away, thanks for providing an update! I believe we have a fix to your issue that will be included in a new update that is being released this week.

Please keep an eye out for the update, and let me know if you continue to run into issues after updating.

Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

@benjamin, @support,

I have removed the Roon app and reinstalled it and still cannot find server. I don’t have a server. My system has run off the Core.

I uploaded my music library to Roon years ago and now I have no access to it. Can someone please call me or email me directly?

Having to communicate here is not helpful. I have been without Roon since you guys starting the “server” configuration.

I understand now the Core is no longer being used. Do I need a server as a requirement now?

This forum is the place to get assistance with any Roon problems.
It would be helpful to all if you had completed the support template that you left blank,the more information the better.
Also please do not start multiple threads on the same subject, it will not help and more than likely would hinder any progress in resolution.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi @Dennis_Lento,

I’ve merged your new post into your existing topic so all the history is together.

As @Suedkiez commented on above, before Roon 2.0.25 Roon Core (Roon Server & Roon GUI all in one) was changed and these two components were split out to be two individual executables.

Roon Server runs in the background and it what the Roon application (GUI) connects to.

The issue as I read it is that Roon (the user interface) cannot communicate with the Roon Server on you system.

Typically this is down to either the Roon Server not running or a firewall blocking the network traffic.

My advice to others that have had this issue is to download and reinstall Roon as this will add in the required firewall rules … but it looks like you have done without success.

I’m not a Mac user, so can’t advise in detail but it would be helpful to go onto the Mac’s firewall configuration and post a screenshot of what if anything is currently configured for the Roon components.

I hope doing this helps Roon Support team to better assist you.

Hi @Dennis_Lento,
Are you still having issues with connecting to your server?

Yes. I haven’t been able to use ROON for months.

Let’s try a server refresh.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
    If this doesn’t resolve the issue it narrows down where the issue is.