Unable to see and use two Raspberry Pi Roon Bridge endpoints at the same time

Roon Core Machine

macOS Monterey 12.0.1
Mac Mini 2018, 3GHz i5, 32GB ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mac mini connected via ethernet to Orbi RBR50 router,
Raspberry Pi 4 loaded with RooExtend which includes Roon Bridge assigned static IP 10.0.0.169 (office) connected via ethernet to Netgear switch GS108 => Orbi RBR50 router.
Raspberry Pi 4 loaded with RooExtend which includes Roon Bridge assigned static IP 10.0.0.166 (living Room) connected via ethernet to Netgear switch GS305 => Orbi RBS50 satellite.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4 connected via USB to Ayre QX-5 Twenty (living room)
Raspberry Pi 4 connected via USB to Holo Spring 3 (office)

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello, I’m unable to get two Raspberry Pi 4s as audio endpoints at the same time. Both are loaded with the RooExtend extensions and both appear in the extensions screen and work perfectly, however both cannot be used as Roon Bridge endpoints at the same time, only one dac will show up in the audio config screen at a time. There appears to be some IP confusion within Roon. I can see each extension running on it’s on IP address. If I have the Ayre dac enabled at 10.0.0.166, for example, it shows with the correct IP in the audio screen, however when I turn on the second Rpi with Roon Bridge, the dac connected to it doesn’t appear, and the IP of the Ayre dac on the audio screen changes to the IP of the dac that does not appear, 10.0.0.169. If I then turn both off, then just turn on the Office Rpi at 10.0.0.169 then it will appear with the correct attached Dac listed in Roon.

I’ll reiterate that there is no IP conflict between the two raspberry pis, each show their own IP in the router, which is static, and Roon Extensions shows each with the correct IP. I can connect both of these dacs to Sonore Microrendus and both show up as endpoints and can be used at the same time.

Each Raspberry Pi showing working extensions at their respective IPs:

Ayre Dac with correct IP:
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.38.27 AM

Ayre Dac, showing wrong IP when the second endpoint is turned on:
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.39.35 AM

Holo Dac showing correct IP:
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.40.46 AM

Hi I’m just wondering if you cloned one Pi / Roon install from the other?
If so that could be the problem as both endpoints would have the same internal Roon ID.

Hi Carl, Thanks for your input. I created both SD cards independently from the official RooExtend image and setup each on its own.

1 Like

I had a similar problem with two Acer V5 remotes in Beta 842. Two Pc completely and new in UEFI dual boot rebuilt with Windows 11 and Manjaro Linux and it came under Linux to a device - confusion. On one device I went back to the old legacy-ssd backup and the problem was gone again. Surely the technology will deal with this rare phenomenon.

I’ll add that I did try erasing and setting each up from scratch once again and changed IP for both, but the same problem persists… Roon confuses the two when both on and can only see the dac that was connected first, but then starts to display the wrong IP when the second is turned on.

I recommend changing the hostname as well. rooExtend appears to be the name of both. edit /etc/hostname to change. The ip may not be the first method used in the lookup.
If it is doing some lookup by name it will be confused.

Hi @Nicholas_Thio,

This could be caused by the RooExtend Raspberry Pi image including an already installed copy of RoonBridge.

If they’re doing this… they shouldn’t be.

Whenever Roon, RoonServer, or RoonBridge is installed it generates a unique identifier which the Roon Core uses to delineate between devices.

If one were to copy an OS image with Roon, RoonServer, or RoonBridge already installed it will include the already generated unique identifier along with it.

The solution is to remove and reinstall RoonBridge to get it to regenerate the identifier.

-John

Thanks @john , that sounds like it could be the issue here. The creator of the RooExtend extension included an option to reinstall roonbridge, which I’ve tried, but not an option to remove it entirely first. If not removed first, will reinstalling just use the existing identifier? I don’t see anywhere that user login information has been provided to gain access via ssh and remove the bridge.

Hi @DrCWO, wondering if you could provide a solution? surprised no one else has run into this yet. Using Roodial in two different rooms and would like to use both as endpoints as well, but a conflict is created between the two so Roon can only see one dac at a time.

Hi Nicholas,
I wonder what goes wrong there but I will try to reproduce the issue today.

I only have one Pi4 and one Pi3 at hand. I will give them a fresh copy of the rooExtend SD-Card image and will see what happens. I’l let you know soon.

Would you please try to make these steps and report if the issue stays:

• Power off both Pis
  • Reboot Roon core
  • If it is ready again reboot first Pi
  • if this shows up reboot the second Pi.

In the meanwhile I will test with my two Pis

Best DrCWO

Good news, I can reproduce it :+1:
I first started the Pi3 and gave the DAC the name “PI3” in the Roon audio settings.
Next I started the Pi4. License Manager and rooDial were visible in the Extensions Settings.
In The audio setting I still see a device named “Pi3” but with the PI number of the Pi4.

Great, thanks’ for the hint :grinning:
I will get into it today and look for a solution.

Best DrCWO

Hi @Nicholas_Thio ,
I found the issue and provide a hotfix for you and all others.
Here rooExtend - Google Drive you find rooExtend_v2.0.3.zip for download.

With this image I tested my Pi3 / Pi4 scenario desribed above and anything works as it should. I will include this patch in the rooExtend v2.1.0 coming soon.

Thank you for helping to improve rooExtend
best DrCWO

Success! Thank you @DrCWO for the fix.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.