Unable to use ARC

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10
i3-3220 CPU
4GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ISP - Starlink (Starlink set in passthrough)
Router - Nighthawk M6
Ethernet connection
Forwarding TCP port 55000 to Roon server
UPnP enabled

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“98.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

@Jason_Oxford, Starlink uses a shared IPv4 public address scheme named CG-NAT, which prevents Roon ARC from working over Starlink connections. Roon is looking at options including some developments in the earlyaccess program, but I believe users are still having issues with ARC over Starlink networks.

3 Likes

Is there a way I can become an early adopter or join the beta program?

Yes, the earlyaccess section is available to users who want to try new features, with the understanding that this is a pre-release version and some users may have problems with it. It has been stable for me, but others occasionally have issues.

The link below explains more:

Hi @Jason_Oxford,

Unfortunately, Starlink is among the service providers with an implementation of IPv6 or dual-stack lite that, currently, does not allow for either automatic or manual configuration of port forwarding. Please see our tracking thread for Starlink users here: Note for Starlink Customers. There are workarounds available, notably Tailscale or many popular VPNs, in our #tinkering section.

However, since you’ve expressed an interest in #early-access, please note that we are actively testing IPv6 compatibility. If you choose to download the Test builds from our Early Access program knowledge base, then we would love to hear your observations.

We’re compiling the results of IPv6 compatibility testing here: Testing IPv6 support in Roon (for users locked out of ARC due to ISP reliance on IPv6 or CGNAT)

1 Like

Hi @Jason_Oxford,

Please do let us know if you’re interested in joining Early Access - we’re eager to test our first iteration of IPv6 compatibility with Starlink users since they represent a large portion of the ARC users stranded behind CG-NAT. Ideally, this would allow for an out-of-the-box configuration with Starlink, although we’re still ironing out the details with the assistance of the Early Access Community members.

Happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

If you have a link I would gladly download it and give it a go. I am tied to Starlink and it is frustrating to not be able to access my Roon serve away from my network.

Thank you

I have downloaded and installed both Roon Server and the Roon client on my Windows 10 pc. How do I know if I am on the latest early access version? Arc on my phone is still not able to reach my server.

@Jason_Oxford, you do not need both Windows Roonserver and the full Roon client running on your PC. Roonserver is for running a Roon Core installation without a user interface or monitor attached to the PC, and must be managed by another computer with the Roon client running on it. The full Roon client also supports acting as a Core, and has the full user interface built into it.

That said, you need to download the earlyaccess release of the Roon Windows client, as well as having access to Google’s Play Beta app for Android or Apple’s TestFlight app for iOS devices. As @connor notes, you need to notify Roon that you want to be a part of the earlyaccess program so Roon can give you access to the Remote and ARC apps via these app stores.

Once you are part of earlyaccess, then you can download the earlyaccess Roon Core and Roon Remote applications from Roon (under the earlyaccess category I listed above) and from the appropriate mobile app store for your phone.

Hi @connor

I am interested in joining the early access program. How do I download the early access app from Google Play store for my android phone?

@Jason_Oxford, please see the following help article.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Testing IPv6 support in Roon (for users locked out of ARC due to ISP reliance on IPv6 or CGNAT)

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.