Unable to use Roon with Bluetooth Airpods pro on work computer

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Aienwarae Aurora R8, W10 Home, built-in Bluetooth 5.0, Roon 1.7 (Built 505)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wire Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluetooth connected Airpods Pro paired to Alenware PC

Description Of Issue

When I select the Airpods Pro as the audio device then hit play, nothing plays, the software skips quickly from one track to the next, so fast no sound is ever heard. I can use the Airport directly with the Qobuz app and other music Apps, but not with roon. Note that the Alienware is my core machine, so I am playing right at the core machine. Help!

Hi @Hector_Rodriguez,

Welcome, and please accept out sincere apologies for the delay here!

Can you share a screenshot of Device setup? Are you able to play to other endpoints okay?

Set up:
Airpods Pro connected to core PC via Bluetooth

Airpods Pro selected as audio device.

Device set-up:

If I click play now on an album, it cycles quickly through each track with no sound and then stops.

I forgot to mention that when I use my iphone as an end-point with airpods pro, it works OK.

Also of note is that if I use my streaming service application for Qobuz on the core PC with the Airpods Pro over Bluetooth it works fine. Failure only occurs with Roon on core machine.

Hi @Hector_Rodriguez,

If you enable System Output in Settings > Audio and play to this zone with the Airpods set as the output device in Windows — Does this work?

Dylan, that is how it is set up. The Airpods Pro are the system output. I can hear beeps and any other audio I play on the PC (like audio on video clips), but it does not work with Roon.

Thanks for confirming, @Hector_Rodriguez.

If you remove the Airpods from the equation and just play to System Output without them does that work?

Yes, I have a DAC attached to the PC that I use with my Oppo headphones, and that works fine. Same for external wired speakers connected to the PC. My problem is that the Oppo’s are heavier and more uncomfortable to ware all day. That is why I want to use the Airpods. It really does not make sense. I would have expected that whatever the output audio device, Roon would just send the audio to it. In principle, this should be straight forward, but it does not work when the Airpods are paired with the core.

Hi @Hector_Rodriguez,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Wouldn’t the audio device then not be named “System Output” instead of “AirPods Pro Stereo” as shown in your screenshot above? At least it’s the case on my system, independent of how the zone is named.

My system has multiple output devices and I can select the output device for specific applications. When I select the output device for Roon, it shows the name of the device. I was able to resolve the problem by re-installing Roon a couple of days ago after returning from vacation.

Sorry for the delay reply, but I have been on vacation and just returned. I was able to solve the problem after re-installing the Roon application. Not sure what solve it, but after re-installing it is working.

Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @Hector_Rodriguez — Thanks for the update!

I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones: