Unable to use the Roon UI on two of my PCs (lock up upon opening)

Roon Core Machine

My Roon Core runs in a Linux Docker (Docker Hub) on top of UNRAID 6.9.2. I’m not pinning any CPU cores to the docker so it has access to all of my CPU. Current utilization is only 2.247GBs / 62.57GBs and .06% CPU. Overall CPU load is only 5-6%.

Current hardware specs of my UNRAID server are:
Xeon E-2288G
64GBs of RAM
156TBs of spinning drive
RAATServer resides on mirrored SSDs

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Running wired GbE from my UNRAID server to my computers that act as Roon end points.

Connected Audio Devices

I have a Lyngdorf MP60 that plays Roon fine. What’s impacted are my Windows 10 Pro computers.

Number of Tracks in Library

I have 49,993 tracks in my library

Description of Issue

Neither of my Windows 10 Pro computers will get past connecting to my Roon Core. The GUI freezes with incomplete information in the window (screenshot attached - actually I can’t as the screenshot is blank/black after hitting PRTSC and pasting it into MSPaint to crop and attach - I’ll try sending a pic from my phone of the screen). I’ve removed and reinstalled Roon on both PCs, reinstalled .NET, disabled Windows firewall and reinstalled their respective GPU drivers from the manufacturer, NVIDIA.

What’s odd is I can still stream music from either PC controlling Roon with my phone despite the Roon program “not responding” locally on the PCs. Also, after reinstalling Roon on either PC, I didn’t experience a lock up until I attempted to view the versions of a song I was listening to (clicked the CD with the number in it to see where else that song resides with my local music collection and on Qobuz). Last lock up occurred around 4:12 PM central. I have the Roon Server logs, but can’t seem to see where to attach them.

Another observation I wanted to provide was, what led up to these lockups is Roon would originally hang when it was minimized and I was working in another window like Outlook or Word, but then would bring Roon back up to advance a track, favorite it, add it to a playlist, see who the artist was, etc., but it would physically freeze for a few seconds before I could either start interacting within the Roon app, or it would close altogether and I’d have to reopen the Roon app to pick up where it was last playing. While it was frozen, music still played. I reinstalled Roon to hopefully address this issue and still had the same problem so I uninstalled everything about Roon (local database and settings) and reinstalled it fresh. Now Roon freezes upon opening it.

This thing on? taptaptap

Hi @Neil_Dielman,

Sorry to hear that you’re seeing some strange behavior from your windows Roon Remotes? Where they used as Remotes and working correctly in the past? If so, did you change anything in your setup that may have contributed to what you’re experiencing?

No changes on my end that I’m aware of. Please check my email to contact@roonlabs.com for MS Event Viewer and Roon logs if needed.

I have since reinstalled Roon again on my end points and can stream pretty regularly now (can get past the repeatable hanging and lock up of the Roon sw opening up on my PC after connecting to Core), but the Roon end point UI will now randomly lock up on either of my Windows 10 PCs when the Roon window is minimized and brought up to adjust the volume, add a track to a playlist, etc. During this time, the UI is unresponsive, but the audio will continue to play. Sometimes the UI will recover from the hang and allow me to interact with it. Other times, the UI will abruptly close itself requiring me to reopen to pick up where I was streaming audio last.

I’ll add the random hanging when bringing the Roon UI to the foreground to interact with it, tends to happen more often when more than a few minutes have past after it was interacted with last and minimized. It seems like Roon is trying to catch up where it is in streaming music visually in the UI as there will be the old music info from a prior track on the screen, hang then it will either recover and update graphically what’s currently being played, or the app will close altogether without warning. It’s odd behavior as I work from home and pretty much stream everyday. This is new behavior which started maybe a month ago.

@jamie Any update on what’s going on with my random crashes of the Roon endpoint UI on two different PCs?

Hi @Neil_Dielman,

Thanks for getting back in touch. We need you to migrate your Core to a supported platform and see if your Windows remotes will connect as expected once you’ve done that.

The docker you’re using isn’t a Roon or Roon sanctioned product. We don’t have details or insight on that plug-in and therefore can’t offer support on that. What you’re encountering here could. be due to use of the docker image or something in your NAS configuration.

Relocating your Core will quickly reveal whether the issue is being caused by your setup or if there’s an issue with your PC remote’s connectivity.

We’ll be watching for your reply. Thanks!

Ok. I’m now using Roon Core version 1.8 (build 952) on an Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS install. I’ll report back if something undesirable occurs again.

In the interim, I came across this logged error below while running Roon Core on my docker. Does it shed any light on what could be going on? Everything works perfectly with Roon beyond the intermittent lockups with my Roon endpoints running Windows (no issues with controlling Roon via my Android-based phone).

Error pulled from Roon Server log when the lockup occurs with the Roon UI:
“System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (104): Connection reset by peer
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)”

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Fellow user here.
I have been trying to get my systems to fail and have been unable to. Was curious what the difference between my various Windows PC clients and yours might be. What OS version, graphics card, any other software?