Uncertified Roon Ready devices announcement

William_OBrien

William_OBrien

8m

Seems like as I wrote this Bricasti and Roon figured this out - I am no longer seeing uncertified in the M3 device list in Roon.

My Bricasti M3 still shows as uncertified

I guess, at one time, Arcam was advertising that as Roon Ready, now they only call it a Roon endpoint.
That wouldn’t seem to bode well for Arcam going thru the trouble of certifying the device.

Obviously, if Arcam doesn’t certify, then your alternative is to not re-new Roon subscription.

OTOH, if Arcam doesn’t certify, you can still use Roon on your SA30. Put RoonBridge on an RPi with an RCA HAT and input into the Arcam’s RCA jacks…

Probably not what you want to hear, but it’s a (hopefully temporary) solution.

Very Interesting I’m still seeing uncertified in roon they definitely need a tighter grip on these companies its just unfair to people who pay good money and some of them or me won’t have a roon ready device anymore the should be called out over this…

i was on the Bowers & Wilkins site this morning & just checked there and there still have the roon logo on the Flex page… Totally misleading the people buying…

this should not be the case… they are moving forward with certification now, but nothing was resolved. Did anything change on your end?

And a nice solution it is; no need for a RCA HAT, the ARC S30 is advertised as having four digital inputs. I think there is a USB input too, so the RPi could output directly to the SA30.

I’m in a similar boat. I bought a Roon Lifetime license because it worked great with my Arcam AVR10, not the other way around.

I hope Danny’s announcement permanently grandfathers my Arcam or I will only have a few weeks of usage before the next inevitable Arcam update disables the device.

No, I don’t think the USB works that way. The USB is probably looking for a file system, like one might find on a thumb drive, rather than a Roon supplied stream.

Those digital inputs also need a translated Roon stream to work, otherwise the device would be Roon Ready. No?

No. Checked in my computer and ipad Roon apps. Not seeing it as uncertified.

can you show us a screenshot?

Nope - as @xxx says, it’s for playing back files on the USB device. From the SA30 manual:

This input is for playback of audio files from a USB pen
drive or similar device. Simply plug in the USB stick and
use the remote control to browse.

You are right about the USB port.

But, from the manual:

“The SA30 features two coaxial and two optical digital inputs, which can be connected to the respective digital audio output of your available source equipment. Although the inputs are labelled for specific devices, they can be used to connect any devices with a coaxial or optical digital output.”

So a RPi with a DigiHAT would work.

2 Likes

My main reason for buying the sa30 was that it’s a nice, clean, one box, one cable solution.

@danny Can I ask about the SonoreUPnP Bridge, which presents as a Roon device under a Squeezebox/Squeezelite streaming implementation?

This unit for me integrates Roon to my Naim NDS Network Player, which isn’t a Roon Ready unit, but works perfectly with this Bridge.

Yes, but that (at least temporarily) is no longer the case.

Don’t know what you’re expecting/wanting, other than for Roon to rescind its policy.

I am trying to show you that it isn’t completely hopeless for you.

BTW - Have you communicated with Arcam about their plans?

Why isn’t it enough to post the pink “Not Certified” banner? If the device does not work very well, the remedy is to deliberately make it not work at all? That does not make much sense to me.

Suppose a car company claims their model gets 30 MPG when it really only gets 25. Would it be appropriate for the Environmental Protection Agency to send a signal that locks up every owner’s gas tank until the company addresses the problem?

2 Likes

Dear @danny, for my Roon playback I use a NAD M10, which is not certified. As such, I am part of the ones affected by this decision made by Roon, yet I didn’t receive this email you mentioned.

Seems use of the SonoreUPnP is good see Trouble with Sonore UPnP Bridge & Roon

so, where or when can i find this statement?

still writing it… hold on!

2 Likes