Unstable application

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
HP Probook 6470, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-3520M CPU @2.9 GHz 2.90 GHz
16.0 GB RAM (15.9 Usable)
Roon Version 1.7 (Build 667) stable 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Xfinity home internet, Arris WiFi router Mod TG1682G, Dual Band 802.11 ac, Core Machine primarily on ethernet, but issues happen both wired or on WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Auralic Aries bridge on WiFi via USB to Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC
Previously HP laptop via USB to Benchmark DAC
Music files on Western Digital NAS, Ethernet to router.

Description Of Issue
The software has become very unstable. 2 major symptoms:
On my laptop it freezes virtually 100% of the time, although I am still able to control it via my iPad so I lived with it.
And, more recently the software shuts off itself a couple of minutes after being launched.
I have been able to regain some stability by uninstalling and reinstalling Roon, but it’s always temporary

1 Like

Hi @Javier_Sanchez_Aizco,

The next time Roon shuts down on its own can you please note the time and then use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Roon crashed around 11 am today.

1 Like

You don’t say but I assume your pc has a SSD for system and library

Laptop has ssd, NAS does not.

What antivirus are you using is your NAS excluded

Oftenthe AV checking files slows down transfer

I have Norton LifeLock version 22.20.5.39

I do not believe it’s runs against the NAS

Hello @Javier_Sanchez_Aizco,

Thanks for sending those log files over, I can confirm receipt. There are some traces contained in your logs which we are going to request additional feedback from our QA team on, once we have QA’s analysis of the logs, we’ll reach out again. Thanks for your patience!

But it may check the incoming files. I have Win10 and use Defender, my music files are on an “excluded drive” ie there is no virus check

I use a monitored working drive until I have done any processing to files then they are copied into the library drive (ie the un AV one)

That way the files passed to Roon do not get re Virus checked each time , your NAS without AV is much the same but if not exclude from AV will be checked at each load by Roon adding more strain to the core P

Just a thought ?

Just a thought

1 Like

Mike, I’m not sure what the specific recommendation is here and sounds like we still have to wait on the analysis of my instances logs anyway. Please advise.

I believe the thought is that the AV will look at all files that pass through the PC no.matter their ultimate destination. So suspend the AV and see if it helps.

Mike, Ged, thanks for the advice. For my understanding though, are you part of Roon Community or Roon Support?
As I’ve been advised that my application logs are being reviewed, I’d should probably get feedback on that before I start making changes.
Regards,
Javier

We are community.
Turning of the anti virus won’t affect what roon are looking at in any way.

Thanks Ged, I’ll test your suggestion.

Ged, I tried, ran with AV off, for a bit seemed to work nicely while driving from my iPad, played CD, DSD, Tidal Masters. Then I went to my laptop/core to drive from there and the app shut down immediately, so antivirus is probably not one of my problems.
Thanks,
Javier

Hello, any progress here?

1 Like

If its the core crashing when using it via it’s own GUI then it might be the graphics driver causing problems. I would go to the Intel site, not windows update, and get the latest drivers and see if that helps.
The other thing that roon recommends in such cases is to try running the 32bit version of the roon software, it’s available on the roonlabs site.

1 Like

Hello @Javier_Sanchez_Aizco,

Thanks for your patience here. I spoke to the team regarding your case and it appears that this issue is graphics-related. Can you please try to run this Intel Update tool and let us know if it helps?

1 Like

Actually community user ged_hickman beat you to the punch. video drivers updated, my system looks stable now, I think my issue has been solved.
Thanks Ged, thanks Tech Support.

1 Like