Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

That’s to be expected IF you use “Adaptive Sample Rate” and one tune was 44.1 based and one was 48 based since then the DAC will receive different sample rates (for example DSD128 and DSD128x48). But if DAC gets the same sample rate, it is possible to prevent the reset (and clicks) of the DAC between tunes, similar to how gap-less tunes are handled on an album.

And looking at the logs I posted earlier, it seems the whole HQPlayer/NAA engine is restarted which I would guess stops and reinitializes the DAC connection (and seems to take 2 seconds as well).

In this log, the track ends, but there’s no next track queued before the current one ends. So the playback engine stops and then there’s a next one and it gets started again.

Local tracks or streaming? If streaming, do you have Prefetch enabled?

There shouldn’t be click in this case either. Like I’m not getting on my current setups.

If there’s a click, it is usually either because DAC is not handling output muting correctly, or there’s a DC offset in unmuted DAC output. Thus the mute relay causes the DC offset to disappear/appear on mute transition which causes a “pop” sound.

The log is from when playing from a playlist in Roon, its not like I play one tune, press stop and play another. But maybe the log is more interesting to @brian

When doing the same in HQPlayer Client, it only show “End of Track” followed by “Next” and them comes some blocksice info and so on. No actual NAA restart as far as I can see, but I still get DSD clicks so it does not keep the connection to the DAC alive.

I should mention that I use a convolution file for room correction, and control volume through HQPlayer. If I turn off the convolution file I don’t get any cutoffs of tunes but the clicks is still there.

I wonder if you have a problem with your ADI-2?

I tried to reproduce with my ADI-2 (I don’t have your exact conv filter) and can’t.

You installed latest ADI-2 firmware? There was some DC offset update.

Yes I have the latest firmware, and the log shows the problem which I doubt depends on the DAC. I am also not alone with these problems.

1 Like

Jussi, please excuse me if this is a stupid question: is it possible that a DC blocker would help?

Do this mean Roon no longer work with HQP3. Updating from HQP 3 to HQP 4 need to pay again?

@Chi_Fai_Wong Yes you will need what’s below with the latest Roon updates.

My roon get updated automatically, can it be undo? I am not prepared to pay again on the HQP. Am quite disappointed on this update.

I’m not sure if you can go back, I would change your update settings so this doesn’t happen to you again.

It’s in Settings->About and click on the gear icon in the picture, this will give you a drop-down menu with some update options.

Thanks, will change the setting to avoid those unwanted update.

You are not using “quick pause” and “short buffer” options by any chance?

Not necessarily, because what causes the click in such case is the transition between DC levels, not the DC itself. And DC blocker passes through the transition area since it is not DC.

1 Like

Thanks! Since I have one DC blocker handy, I’ll go ahead and try it anyway just to be sure. I’ll report back.

I am using quick pause, but no difference if I turn it off. Buffer is “Default” and short buffer is unchecked.

OK, does quick pause cause click?

Short buffer would make it more likely to have a drop-out at reinitialization point. You could still have in which case output is filled with DSD silence pattern - same one as in quick pause case.

Yes, quick pause causes a short click, but so does pause without “Quick Pause” enabled. Click occurs at the end just after the music stops.

But if you check the logs posted, its not strange that it resets and clicks between tunes with different sample rates. I assume that people who don’t have this problem also don’t have NAA restarts in their logs.

Does it go away if you turn off convolution? Because if it clicks on pause even with quick pause off, then it is content related, rather than output related.

Depending on the DAC, I don’t have the issue even with NAA start/stop/start sequences.