Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

Jussi already wrote he found a bug.

Just need to wait patiently for a fix?

Yes, Zero issues. Works great, sounds great and is great.

Did you also reupload the license key?

Yes, all good now

You are correct, it still cuts the end of some tunes. With this in mind, seems there wasnā€™t very much fixed at all, but letā€™s give it a few more days for HQPlayer and Roon to work out some problems.

1 Like

With me it is the sameā€¦
Until just now everything ran wonderfully, then I made the Roon update, since then Roon can no longer connect to the HQPlayer.
So far I have restarted Ropieee, reinstalled ROCK, removed HQPlayer and added it again, still - it doesnā€™t work.

Here is how the 2 big issues (for me at least) can be tested and reproduced, in case @jussi_laako or @brian wants to know:

1. Use a DAC with audible clicks when itā€™s reset, for example, RME ADI-2 fs when up-sampling to DSD (AK4490 version)
  2. Add 3 albums from Qobuz with different sample rates to a playlist, One or two should be 48k based.
  3. Add a convolution file to HQPlayer that adds a long latency (optionally in combination with ā€œoverlap-saveā€ in HQPlayer that gives an even longer latency). At least 5 seconds latency.
  4. Up sample to DSD with ā€œAdaptive Output Rateā€ unchecked so the DAC will get the same DSD sample rate at all times.
  5. Play playlist in random,

If it worked perfectly, no clicks should occur even when going between tunes with different sample rates, and no cutoff should occur. Additionally, the progress bar in Roon should represent whatā€™s actually heard from the speaker.

1 Like

I had no issues yesterday with the update and yes I do think that HQP does sound better in my system!

I wonder why yours is clicking while my two ADI-2 Proā€™s with the same DAC chip are notā€¦

But overall, this clicking should be fixed in the DAC. It should keep output muted around start/stop and make sure thereā€™s no DC offset that would cause click when mute relays are switched.

Yes, but the clicking is just a symptom, if up-sampling to a fixed rate the DAC should not be reset between tunes since even without clicks it adds a delay and is unnecessary. And if a continuous stream was sent, it would also fix the cutoff at end of a tune.

Still, strange that you canā€™t reproduce it since some others also have this problem. My chain is this:

• Roon and HQPlayer on Windows 10 vanilla desktop setup
  • NAA on microRendu (and an opticalRendu between)
    All updated to latest versions

What about if you connect ADI-2 direct to Windows 10 PC and use RME ASIO driver.

For me, my Holo May also produces a click if I skip a track, even if both tracks are of the same samplerateā€¦

Could try I suppose, but itā€™s of academic interest since it sound worse that way and I assume it should work with an NAA with the latest image.

@jussi_laako I get the same DSD clicks when playing from HQPlayer Client

If you play 2 tunes with different sample rates, but let it play over the gap between the tunes (no skipping or pressing next) do you get clicks then also? Clicks when pressing Next is in itself not a big deal imho.

Iā€™ll try in a couple of hours and report back.
For me it is annoying, I have to say. I was hoping that the new implementation would keep the roon-connection alive and not restart it each time I change tracks.

More for troubleshooting - not as a permanent solutionā€¦

Take network gear out of it - just go direct from PC to ADI-2 with RME ASIO driver. Just a USB cable.

Use the RME USB cable, not something exotic ! :grinning:

I tried with USB direct from the computer and updated the Firmware in the DAC first, but no difference. Still get clicks between tunes of different sample rates, as well as tune being cut-off.

I also got the same problem from HQPlayer Client over a direct-USB connection (both clicks and tune cut-off).

Others have also mentioned similar problems, so itā€™s nice to know itā€™s not just me.

Here is the log (partially) when a 96/24 tune ended and a 44/16 tune started

2022/03/02 18:11:25 End of track
& 2022/03/02 18:11:25 Next  (1)
  2022/03/02 18:11:25 Idle request
  2022/03/02 18:11:25 Stop request (tail)
& 2022/03/02 18:11:25 Stop...
- 2022/03/02 18:11:25 NAA output network engine stopping...
- 2022/03/02 18:11:27 NAA output network engine stopped
- 2022/03/02 18:11:27 Playback engine stopped
& 2022/03/02 18:11:27 ...stopped
  2022/03/02 18:11:27 Set volume: -25 +
& 2022/03/02 18:11:27 Playlist clear
& 2022/03/02 18:11:27 Playlist add URI: http://127.0.0.1:30000/3681f99bf21340ff83ae3bc5dc09fdb0/stream.raw
& 2022/03/02 18:11:27 Play

This was with ā€œAdaptive Sample Rateā€ unchecked and up-sampling to DSD128

That really depends on your personal preferences. Just try it. You can download a demo if I recall correctly.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Is HQ Player DSP better than Roon?

I get clicks between tracks of different samplerateā€¦

2 Likes