Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

… but there is still a serious lack of planning and communication.

Which way? I think it is planned well and communicated clearly with extra notice email, etc.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the update. I’ve had to use Roon only recently as HQ Player has become untenable under the current configuration. They definitely needed to do this sooner rather than later.

This is my opinion so others are free to think differently:

• the need for AVX2 hw compatibility (a very critical change) had to be declared in the HQP change log and not “discovered” by chance, still today this information is missing in the change log.
  • the minimum compatibility of HQP Desktop 4.16.2 and HQP Embedded 4.29.3 with the new build / release of Roon (taking into account the previous point) could be better planned and therefore communicated at least two months in advance and with a single and precise announcement .

Everything would have been simpler and no one would have felt in trouble

I can recommend Small Green Computer and the Sonictransporter series HW, with both Roon and HQplayer build in. Turn key concept. Extremely easy to operate and upgrade when needed.

1 Like

Or Sonictransporter :grinning:

Thanks, yeah, I’ve seen and heard people talk about these. Looks like around $1700 with a 2TB SSD built-in. Not that I’m averse to the investment, but I gotta do the cost-benefit analysis!

You can do $999, especially if you don’t need heavy DSD processing. Also the cost for HQplayer embedded is quite reasonable purchased from @agillis He often have some good deals.

Maybe it’s time now, as this update comes :grinning:

I don’t, yeah, I just upsample PCM to 192… so that might be a thing.

But I’m one of those folks who, when they buy a mac, they kit it to the max because, well, you can’t do it later!

I just love the mac environment tho… familiarity, ease of management, backups with CCC, etc… I guess I’ll have to spread my wings.

I considered it minor change since it affects only Windows version. So it is under the “component updates” category. Similar way as when Nvidia requirement was upped from Compute Capability 3.0 to Compute Capability 5.2. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 support was dropped. And macOS version requirements keeps moving forward as Apple drops support for older ones and introduces new hardware.

And you still have free alternative to move over to Linux.

This would mean to delay release of the fixes for no good reason.

I’m sure someone would have still…

1 Like

The Mac Mini M1 is very nice one, quiet and surprisingly capable. And not horribly expensive either.

4 Likes

To clarify, just so we have all the info… this affects Roon Bridge, also, right?

(Because I don’t have HQPlayer running on the core. It’s actually on a separate mini that runs Roon Bridge + HQP.)

If it does affect the Bridge, a person could leave the core alone, and only update the bridge that runs HQP, correct?

Roon Bridge and HQPlayer are not related. So when you are using HQPlayer there’s no Roon Bridge involved anywhere.

ok, then, maybe I’m using the term “bridge” incorrectly.

The main point being: if I’m running HQPlayer on a machine OTHER than the core, it’s the machine that’s running HQPlayer that needs to accommodate/support AVX2, correct?

So, a 2012 Mac Mini core could live on as is, and a person only needs to upgrade the machine that’s running HQP, correct?

1 Like

I know there’s quite a lot of negativity in this thread and I can understand the frustrations of those who might need to change hardware.

But, I just want to say a big THANK YOU to Roon Devs and @jussi_laako , this will be a huge QoL improvement and I’m really looking forward to it on monday!

If one day we could change filter options from within roon that’d be awesome too but not really a big deal :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yes, in case it is a Windows one.

Yes, exactly.

Excellent. This is much easier to deal with, at least in the short term.

I KNOW my core 2012 mini is long in the tooth, and I’ll look at an upgrade at some point.

But great news that I can simply replace the HQP machine(s) (also 2012 mac minis) with a fairly low-budget late-2014 mac mini.

Wait, can I ask what this means? You say “in case it is a Windows one”… does this mean if it is NOT a windows one, it doesn’t need to be replaced?

I am sorry if I am being dense, but i just realized this is confusing to me.

Yes, that’s the case. AVX2 requirement applies only to Windows version at the moment. Not to macOS or Linux version.

If these fall short on Apple’s macOS support, you still have option to go with Linux on these.

Ok, so, I guess I’m still confused, after an entire thread of being crabby that I have to quickly upgrade my gear! (And I’m assuming others in the same boat are confused, as well.)

So, you’re saying that 2012 mac minis are all good then?

I tried to upgrade HQPlayer to 4.17 and it crashes upon launch, so I had to stay with HQP 4.3.

But you’re saying I’ll still be OK with my 2012 mini running HQP 4.3 with Roon, even after monday’s Roon update?

If that’s the case, it would be good to mention this in the top post, to avoid confusion and 15 questions/posts from me!

(I asked this a couple days ago, but I’m seeing there was never a reply to my question!)

Fully agree