Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

You are on macOS 11 or newer?

Core is Mojave 10.14.6

One of the Macs running HQP is on Catalina 10.15.2

2012 Miniā€™s canā€™t support Big Sur OS 11

Can you get those updated to macOS 11? Does the latest release work on the 10.15 one?

When I bought embedded, I informed the fingerprint to the webshop and got the license immediately.

1 Like

Just for reference: Iā€™m running Roon Server (latest and greatest) and HQPlayer Desktop 4.17.0 happily together on a 2012 Mac mini with macOS Catalina (10.15.7):

6 Likes

Sweet. Yep, just upgraded to 10.15.7, and was able to launch HQP 4.17.

Success!

Hello,

I think it is a great pity that there is no official answer from roon. I would like to describe my situation here on behalf of a few others, I think. I canā€™t simply change the hardware or the operating system. I use convolver and acourate and I am dependent on windows. convolver offers the possibility to connect other sources like a turntable. Furthermore, you can create several FIR filters and define them in parallel and even change them during music playback via app. Convolver automatically switches to the correct FIR filter for the sample frequency. As I am running an active 8 channel solution with 2 lynx cards, the time period is simply too short. I have extensively rebuilt the two Lynx cards. The combination of roon, hqplayer 3, convolver and lynx coupled to a transformer beats all current solutions known to me such as trinnov, the beast etc. . Therefore, it has never been necessary to switch to hqplayer 4. When I read the announcement, I thought ok, Iā€™ll switch to hqplayer 4 now. I then installed hqplayer 4. hqplayer wouldnā€™t start on my system, or it would simply quit without an error message. (@Juri: an error message there would help many users). It took me a while to find out that it was the CPU, i.e. the AVX2 requirement. I know many who have similar problems, most donā€™t understand the dependency directly. And for these users, the update comes on Monday and they can no longer install the old roon version. One solution is a dual pc setup with a small computer on which I installed roon and hqplayer and then connected it via the hqplayer 4 network daemon on my old computer. However, this is not completely stable and only works reasonably stable when the two are connected via LAN cable. Because it loses the connection from time to time. But a new motherboard with a newer CPU means that I no longer have a real PCI controller, so the lynx card drops out because too many errors are produced. Two new 4 channel PCI-E cards cost about 3000,- eur motherboard with 6 core CPU also at least another 1000,-ā‚¬. And thatā€™s how it is for many people in my circle of acquaintances. 3 days and even 2 months are simply too short. And above all, many people donā€™t realise when the announcement is made that this is the end of their system.

1 Like

@jussi_laako As far as I can see, You never provided an answer to this simple question.

1. When was this requirement introduced?
    I noticed the warning about a missing internet connection just recently. So it must have been introduced with a recent update.

2. Where is it documented?
    If there are any relevant release notes or change logs, I apologize. I could not find any on the Sygnalist website.

3. Repeating @Mattyā€™s question: ā€œWhat exactly is the internet connection needed for?ā€
    I can see HQPlayer searching for a ntp server. Thatā€™s fine. I have one in my home network. HQPlayer is using that one as it should. :+1:
    Besides that I see HQPlayer seeking connection to Port 443 on a server in Finland, which might be within the IP range of Your ISP. Whatā€™s the purpose of this connection?

As long as You refuse disclosure, we are forced to speculate.

Iā€™m sure, You donā€™t want to be on par with something like MS telemetry. However, customers will be increasingly sensitive with regard to any system suddenly refusing to work without internet connection.

HQPlayer comes with ā€œconvolverā€ and you can just use filters created with Acourate in HQPlayer. You donā€™t need Acourate once you have created the filters.

This you can also do in HQPlayer.

HQPlayer can scale for example you 352.8k filter to any other rate. And it will also work when you process DSD ā†’ DSD, without doing any DSD rate conversions. This is something you cannot do with Acourate convolver.

In addition, on HQPlayer you can process convolution utilizing Nvidia GPUā€¦

RME HDSPe is not that expensive. I have a few of thoseā€¦

It was introduced some time before I added support for Qobuz and HRA Streaming.

That message was added 4.16.2 instead of just quietly failing.

To check things like whether your license key is valid and whether Roon is allowed to access HQPlayer (API key checks).

Compared to Roon, I would say HQPlayer has very little internet chatter so far.

@Christian_Schmauder
You mentioned you installed v4 but after doing so, HQP would not work do to your CPU and the AVX2 requirement. What year was your wkst built/purchased and or can you provide some hrdwr details + OS?

Iā€™m under the impression that AVX2 was implemented around 2013 ~ with Haswell (AVX2-512 a little later).

Hello swisstrips,
I have installed roon and hqplayer 4 on a second computer (a small hp elitedesk with 4 core i5 and 16gb main memory). On my first computer with old i7 6 core with lynx card I installed Signalyst Network Audio Daemon: 4.2.0. hqplayer 4.0 automatically finds the daemon on the network and connects automatically. In the hqplayer desktop dialog you can choose the driver to which the daemon should stream the music.
So I can use my old motherboard with the lynx card further. In the meantime it runs stable. I donā€™t want to have always two screens running in my living room to search for errors. But unfortunately not via wlan extender. But first runs with LAN cable connected stable since yesterday evening, at the beginning I had some failures that I had to restart the network daemon, but now the transmission is stable. I had to adjust the buffer time values.

1 Like

I definitely donā€™t want to give up hqplayer for sound reasons. I have seen that you can save different settings under pipeline setup, I assume that you meant with the possibility to change the filters on the fly with hqplayer. Is it possible to integrate the sound card input in a pipeline setup (for example turntable on the analog input).

How often does HQPlayer do this? Is it only once? If not, how long do we have if our internet goes down in a storm to be able to keep listening to Roon?

One could ask the exact reverse question of Roon could they not? Pretty sure it needs an internet connection to check its license status ā€¦

Posted a few thoughts on HQPlayer and I see this issue with AVX2 being discussed on this thread.

Using the MeLE Mini PC for Upsampling/Filtering - HQPlayer Desktop 4 streaming from Roon. [Going forward, AVX2 needed for HQPlayer + Roonā€¦ For some reason.]

From a potential user perspective, I honestly think HQPlayer can unify these filtering options and present an awesome kick-ass software package that is superior and more cost-effective than anything Chord and their M-Scaler can throw at audiophiles.

Having said this, I just donā€™t know about these seemingly arbitrary decisions around stuff like AVX2 instructions in Windows if the hardware already works and some versions like Mac and Ubuntu donā€™t need it. Letā€™s not waste hardware potential and userā€™s time and money if itā€™s not intricately associated with an actual benefit! Guys using HQPlayer with low-power and older machines probably just want good PCM upsampling/filtering and clearly SSE4 can do the job just fine.

Didnā€™t know about this Internet connection piece with HQPlayerā€¦

@kevin - how about adding a "Precise, intermediate phase" sample rate filter option to Roon itself. That could be fun. :wink:

3 Likes

No. I bought Roon knowing it connects to the internet for additional info but I rarely use Tidal or Qobuz.

HQPlayer only controls the information via USB to my DAC. It has no reason to connect to the internet for me. Other people may use those features but itā€™s a sudden new requirement. I still havenā€™t read a good explanation for the change from 4.16.1.

1 Like

4.17.1 is working on 10.15.7. Iā€™d suggest downloading and saving a copy of 4.17.1 before jussi releases a version that doesnā€™t support 10.15.

Itā€™s out there now but in the future Iā€™d block the serial number of the mac/or sn of anything for that matterā€¦

Yep, from yesterdayā€¦