Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

I think @ffk means save a copy for safe keeping, like in your cloud storage

At some point the download link to that version will change to newer version and you won’t have access to this current version

Jussi won’t send out old copies. He clears them after certain time

1 Like

ah, gotcha. Done.

1 Like

If you want to run headless Windows server. Get some suitable resolution HDMI EDID spoofer from Amazon (I use full-HD 1080p) and install TightVNC server on the machines. This way you can remotely control those as needed and no need to have display, keyboard or such connected.

This is the way I run most of my Windows-based HQPlayer servers.

Every time it is started.

As long are you don’t restart HQPlayer. But this is not a promise, it may change in future.

At the moment, you can play local content with standalone HQPlayer without internet connection. But if you use Roon or some other network based streaming, it is also assumed that there’s internet connection available.

This is very complex thing involving number of software components / tools, a lot thanks to peculiarities of Windows.

On Linux it is technically feasible (at the moment!) to provide two separate builds, like I do now, for newer AVX2 capable CPUs by AMD and Intel. And “generic” or “legacy” package for older / Intel hardware.

When I introduced support for Qobuz / HRA Streaming, I needed some new functionalities that forced me to update some components. That in turn forced updating of some other tools as well (C++17 support, etc). Snowball effect.

On macOS, supporting Apple’s M1 silicon and Qobuz / HRA Streaming meant changes on baseline requirements.

In the past, I got so much feedback that performance sucked on Windows with AMD Ryzen CPUs. These newer builds address that issue and perform very well on both AMD Ryzen and recent Intel Core/Xeon. But that meant drawing a line at AVX2 support - introduced on 4th Gen Intel Core CPUs almost 10 years ago. We are now at 12th Gen Intel CPUs.

HQPlayer is very very close to hardware optimized piece of software, with immense amount of effort spent to make these algorithms run in realtime on currently available hardware. Makes me almost cry sometimes trying to make things work across different CPU architectures and generations.

Overall, if I make this run some old piece of hardware, other people with latest hardware will say that thing X doesn’t work anymore. When I make thing X work, then it doesn’t work anymore on older hardware.

Please note that Windows 11 is much more demanding on the hardware than HQPlayer!

For old hardware, cost free solution is still to switch over to Linux. One can also significantly reduce the OS overhead this way.

2 Likes

You can select input independently of the selected matrix profile. But you can certainly use certain matrix profile with certain input. Main use case for this is to use the relatively recent software based RIAA correction.

The way I have things set up is that I use my two RME ADI-2 Pro’s as input devices. These offer three digital inputs (coax, Toslink and AES) plus analog input. Analog input could be used for turntable source and S/PDIF for old school CD spinner. I have AES feed coming from my iMac, so anything I play on my iMac (Spotify, Apple Music) goes through HQPlayer processing.

Precisely. Save a copy of the installer. I save Mac win and Linux builds now… just in case…

1 Like

On macOS, most of the OS requirements come from two sources; GUI toolkit and Apple’s Xcode.

For example, on M1 at least, Monterey says like “f**k you, Xcode 13 is minimum”. Trying to install Xcode 12 on Monterey just result in installation that doesn’t work until it is updated to Xcode 13.

1 Like

I have been upgrading for 6 tears now and each update brings an audible improvement, well worth it! IMHO! They are all awesome!

Cheers,

At least hqplayer doesn’t require an extension…

there’s a whole mess of crap going on with extensions since 10.15 was released. Not getting into it…

Apple computers are turning into big iPhones.

1 Like

today’s the 28th.
is the new Roon - HQPlayer interface yet provided as an update?
Will Roon install it automatically?
Any hint in which revision tag that update is showing up?
My Roon Core is reporting 1.8 (Build 904) today

No update here too

I am also patiently waiting…

I like your nickname - fits to the current situation in Europe…

1 Like

Haha. Yeah. Thanks.

Nothing yet.Would like to try the new changes before my subscritpion ends tommorrow.

Today’s release has been delayed due to a regression we discovered this morning, so we’re fixing that now and hoping to release tomorrow. :crossed_fingers: When the update is available we’ll make a new post in #roon:software-release-notes and you’ll get a notification in-app.

4 Likes

I am also patiently waiting as well…

Thanks, Roon for getting everything just right before roll-out!!

Cheers,

You need to resubscribe. Nothing better to do in Winnterpeg.

Lots to do.Just went snowmobiling.Now I’m going skating.

1 Like