Upcoming changes to HQPlayer support

I’m all for the update. Looking forward to the smoother operation and integration.

1 Like

Just installed the update and everything works perfectly. Macbook Air M1, Moneterey 12.2.1 and HQPlayer 4.17.0.

Please, since a couple of updates everything has gotten worse, first the sound crackled, then it crashed. Now nothing works, after 20 or 30 seconds it crashes. Where is the hqplayer implementation? Everything remains the same, well unfortunately not. I repeat, nothing works. They are €700 for roon and €250 for hqplayer and they go from botched to botched. Any solution? I am willing to give you the information you provide me. Thanks.

Updated but now Roon can’t find my core on STi5

@Torrey_Wilkins

This just happened to me on my sonicTransporter i9 as well. In fact, this happened in 2 of the 3 times I updated HQPlayer recently. I ask Andrew at SGC about it and he had nothing to offer. No help…only suggested I contact Roon or Signalyst.

My solution, and the only one I tried that worked, is to use the sonicTransporter’s web interface to remove Roon and reinstall it. Then I restored the database from the most recent backup (I backup nightly).

EDIT: As soon as I change a filter setting, boom, it fails again…frustrating. Check out this thread:

2 Likes

iMac 5k Retina 2020 (intel) Monteray, HQPlayer Desktop on Ubuntu Server Ryzen 7 with 3060 Cuda, all runs very smooth so far. not issues at all :slight_smile:

Did anyone of you notice a change in sound quality / signature? Running Roon wiht my Cambridge CXN V2 on my 2.0 setup and I am not sure but the sound changed after this update. More detailed and bright if i am not completely played by my own imagination…

1 Like

will check tonight! sounds great!!! which filters did you use please?

In my 2.0 setup I am not using HQPlayer. Roon only.

1 Like

@musicjunkie917
Your comment mirrors my experience with Andrew.
I just did a restore too.
I backup roon db to 4 separate drives.

Just reinstalled and got core recognition and I can play Roon. Unfortunately even though I have HQ version 4.3 I get this message when trying to play HQPlayer

Try rebooting the core…and then see this thread:

Reinstalled all updates. All working. However if I change configuration in HQPlayer I have to reinstall updates again and reboot. Kind of a PITA…

You only need to restart hqplayerd. But luckily you shouldn’t need to change configuration of HQPlayer frequently.

Seems to work, it doesn’t cut the end of tunes anymore and the Roon-bar seems to show the position that is actually playing from the speakers. But it still resets the DAC between tunes with different sample rates or bitdepth, even if up-sampling without “adaptive output rate”. It should instead be gapless-alike from the DACs perspective, i.e. a steady stream with no interrupts/resets.

If you have a DAC like the RME with “DSD clicks”, it is a little annoying to get the clicks between some tunes when it, at least from a theoretical perspective, should not be needed.

Not sure how hard it is to fix, and whether it’s Roon or @jussi_laako that can fix it.

1 Like

okay, i know there are more things to worry about in the world but…
I AM ■■■■■■

This would be on Roon to fix. Have you checked from the log file that it triggers restart?

I can confirm this. I’m still getting clicks as well. :disappointed:

1 Like

Did anyone actually test these changes with more than a cursory check??

No, but I hear the DSD clicks from the DAC between tunes with different sample rates. Between tunes with the same sample rate (even if from different albums/artists) there are no clicks though.

Btw, last I checked I got those clicks from HQPlayer Client also.