Upcoming Roon Minimum System Requirements

I have to do 8 Channel 48khz pcm upsampling to stereo DSD256 to roughly use 20% cpu performance of 2 cores (out of 10). While running screen sharing trough Splashtop .

that means processing speed of 5.x in roon with the cpu probably throttling its performance.

(m4 base Mac mini) Mac OS27 could be amazing if intel finally gets abandoned for good.

Roon Suggested disabling automatic updates as one option. However, I can’t find any option to do so in room settings. How does one disable automatic updates?

Go to :gear: > About and click the :gear: by your Roon Server, then choose the ā€œAskā€ option…

You should do the same for your Roon Remotes as well, I think.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting about this. Although I don’t use my 2012 Mac mini that much for Roon anymore as my sonictransporter is my server now I do have it on my mac mini and occ use it to load convolution files, hires downloads, some word processing etc, but once upon a time it did function as my roon server…regardless it has been stuck on a very old version of macOS for a long time. I followed the instructions on the legacy patching software that you posted and it worked like a charm and now I am on Sequoia and it works flawlessly. For folks with an old mac who wants new OS, def check it out! Freeware too!!

That’s great, I’m happy that it was not too big a hassle :slight_smile:

Apple ends support this year for its last Intel Macs (2020 MBP). It’s all Apple Silicon from here on.

Just back home from a very long round-the-world trip, fire up the Roon Server for some music to help me back into reality, only to find that nothing works and my Mac can no longer run Roon! The thought of messing with hacks or buying a new server is not very appealing, maybe this is the end of my Roon road, which is a bit sad….

[Edit:] OK I did see there was a pre-release version that installed and worked, so delays my decision making for a bit and can listen for a bit longer. As I travel more and more I use my home stereo less so the thought of spending more time on the setup isn’t filling me with joy. I may ultimately just remove the system……

If you are running Catalina, an upgrade is long overdue anyway, since it doesn’t receive any security updates.

However, the simplest solution is to use Open Core Legacy Patches. If you still have difficulties, open a Support request.

Thanks. To be honest I couldn’t care less about security issues on my music server really, it’s pretty well isolated. These days I’m just a lot less interested in messing around with this stuff, seems to always be work involved rather than set and forget…. but I may look into the patches.

Maybe not, but Roon does and the changes the introduced require more recent libraries than are shipped with macOS <12.

Good to see that Roon finally made sure to remove to constant, relentless, annoying, naggy, popup windows asking every single user on every device to update the software every time they open the app, even though auto-update is disabled and updating could cause critical issues.

Oh no, my mistake, they didn’t . It’s still the same way it’s been forever…

Click it: