Update killed my Roon

TEXT GOES HERE

TP link Decco Mesh system 3 nodes

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonore UltraRendu feeding Ayre QB9 Twenty

System output ASIO to USB of Oppo 205

Controlled by iPhone 10, iPad Pro and iPad Air

Description Of Issue

Got a prompt yesterday on iPad air that an update was available. I had heard to update i devices before core. Attempts to access Roon through i devices showed message that I could not connect to Roon. I then went to try to access core on the NUC. It was not running, but the logo in the tray was there, already changed to the new white one. Clicking on it produced a momentary little circle suggesting I had made contact, but it did not load.

Went out to your website and downloaded a new install .exe. I reinstalled. No change. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. No change. I downloaded a new .exe from a link Rebeka sent. No change.

I have no idea what to do now.

1 Like

Hi @David_Olegar

Sorry for the trouble here!

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay here, @David_Olegar

Can you try this and let us know if there is any change?

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

A similar (but not identical) technique suggested by one of your colleagues solved most of my problems, but I now have the issue that Roon does not detect one of my two ultrarendus. They are both configured for Roon.

Hi @David_Olegar

Do they show up in Settings > Storage, or are they not even showing there?

Can you share a screenshot of this?

Hi Dylan,

I’m not sure precisely what I did to fix it (reinitializing Roon Ready through MySonicorbiter didn’t work several times), but it is now working. My biggest problem now is that Multichannel DSD files bring hiccups and the “An audiofile is loading slowly” message. Two channel DSD works ok.

Just curious about why they should have shown up as Storage devices. They are audio devices and now show up under that settings tab.

Thanks again,

David

Thanks for the update, @David_Olegar

Can you share a screenshot of the signal path when you’re playing multichannel DSD files?

Dylan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m now away from that setup. I’ll be back there next Tuesday and I’ll be able to update you then.

Thanks,
David

1 Like

Thanks for sharing those, @David_Olegar

Looking at the signal path, I can see that the processing speed is pretty low. When the processing speed is below 1, it can definitely result in issues like you’re seeing. Multichannel DSD is definitely more demanding than 2 channel, so a more powerful CPU might be necessary here to get the most out of your DSD content.

Dylan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you think a rig like this:

NUC7i3BNH [Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)]
8GB DDR4 2400 RAM
500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD

running ROCK would do the trick?

If not, a M1 Mac Mini? They seem to have a lot of horsepower.

Also, while I have your attention. Do you know why the Oppo has to be on and set on the USB input for any of the group to function? Or why trying to use the ethernet input on the Oppo not only doesn’t work, it also brings the system to a halt. Actually just hooking the Oppo into my network and turning it on brings Roon to a stop as well.

Thanks,

David

it is the i3 that is the issue. You want an i5 or an i7.

Also, in the DSP setting of your current setup check Enable Native DSD Processing. If it is set to Yes, try turning it off, and that might let you play those multi channel files.

I would verify the IP addresses for each device. It might be that they are somehow set to the same IP address which can cause a conflict.

Hi @David_Olegar

I agree with Rugby’s suggestion above — For this kind of processing, going with something a bit more powerful than an i3 will result in a better experience.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.