Update to Roon 1.8 Build 880 corrupts my Roon Core database

I am so sad that I’m not one of those who lucky with no issue on the updating. I have to start fresh database. My playlists, tags, loves had been gone forever. :frowning:
Now I have to start pressing on the HEART icon on each songs that I love in all albums, create new playlists containing songs, tagging albums as mush as I can remember again. I can’t sleep at night, so painful. :frowning:

I have had no DB corruption issues THIS TIME. When 1.7 rolled out, I did have this issue and was fortunately able to restore from an older backup. This go around, I have had zero issue (so far, knock on wood).
My Setup:
Roon core is ROCK running on a dedicated fanless NUC (core i7, 256GB ssd, 16GB ram). Nothing else runs on that NUC.
Library is on a NAS (Synology ds1819+ with 16GB ram and 2x400 GB ssd cache. Actual storage is on a raid array of 110 TB)
All connections are ethernet.
Playback is via ethernet to Devialet Expert Pro 440 using Roon RAAT

I did participate in the 864 Beta roll-out prior to the stable release of 880.
I have over 500,000 tracks in my library, many of them edited manually (cover art, favorites, etc). I dread to think what would happen if I needed to rebuild that library from scratch if my DB got corrupted.

1 Like

Colleagues … I have the same problem with the corrupted database. But: If I restart my Roon Server (a pure one on a NUC), it is running for approximately an hour before loosing connection.

I will not start with a new clean database and I hope that Roonlabs will help us.

1 Like

There are a couple (at least) of tools that offer leveldb repair.

As @Michael_Harris points out, leveldb isn’t known for reliability. See the section on the Wikipedia article

LevelDB has history of database corruption bugs. A study from 2014 has found that, on older (non-checksummed) file systems, the database could become corrupted after a crash or power failure.

3 Likes

Hi all,
We paid a higher price for a f… software developed by a f… team. They must change their job…

Let’s write to the CEO of Roon : Enno , it’s the third time i lost all my playlists, parameters, etccc because of an update.

4 Likes

My Roon Core, operating on an Intel NUC in my ‘backend’ with all NAS and networking equipment is on a UPS to prevent against mains dropouts & interruption.
There has not been an interruption/outage to the mains to my system that the UPS was not able to cope with, in the last 8 years. So no forced shutdowns or sudden loss of power to the ROCK server.
I have also tried recovering to a backup ROCK server, in a spare NUC, and the issue is the same. So this is software not hardware.

Plus no hint of my Roon library having any issues with corruption in its database. For library management, file management, device management all working fine, on a daily usage basis since the last time I had to start afresh back following an issue with Build 30 in 2015. So that’s 850 Builds ago, and how many releases from 1.0?

I don’t doubt that there might be multiple issues in play here. I’m simply stating that the underlying database has a reputation for unreliability and that some tools exist that might help if this is your issue.

While I agree that corruption seems unlikely in your case I’d not rule it out until I’d run an integrity check on the DB, with an independent tool if possible.

Roon’s developer team must give to all users a script to fix the issue.

3 Likes

But I can’t get into the database to do so, as it is on ROCK where there is no SSH provision into device.

No Roon toolsets for database analysis, fix up etc.
It could a systemic database wide corruption or it could just one entry causing B880 to halt.

I had the same problem too. Indeed i was in trial process with last version and it worked flawless for 1 day until the 880 build update. Also i couldn’t solve the database problem by reinstalling roon. After reinstall it does not start building database. When you try to reopen after closing the stuck process it states again that my database is corrupted. Therefore i’ve cancelled the trial.

As I say, it was a suggestion for those who might be more DIY inclined.

There are a few ways out of this situation that spring to mind but I’m not here to provide support while folk potentially invalidate their warranty. A bit of DIY hacking to fix things isn’t for everyone and that’s fine, I’m not good at sitting and waiting for the calvary is all. Hope that your problems are resolved soon.

Hi Guys,

This is the email of the CEO Roon : enno.vandermeer@roonlabs.com good luck :wink:

One solution to this could be a repair utility that replaces corrupt database records with valid placeholders. Then one could relatively easy see and edit the missing fields in Roon.
A compromise, but way better than loosing the whole database.

3 Likes

You mean like booting the ROCK NUC from one of the USB rescue images?

This makes this whole situation even more of balls up. Why not have some check in place to start with when using a well known unreliable base to build you software on. This looks to be a major catastrophy waiting to happen What where they smoking when they designed Roon.

1 Like

Indeed, that would be the best solution. But to do this, Roonlabs have to understand exactly where they are wrong.

A sad day :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Not to mention my added artist pics, metadata edits, corrections…

“This is the first time Gorkem_Onat has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!”
What a welcome indeed!

Another borked update here. Restoring from the most recent version failed so now it’s the binary slice through old backups route. Not how I planned to spend the weekend…