Update to Roon 1.8 Build 880 corrupts my Roon Core database

Seems strange that so many users suddenly have “hardware issues” that hasn’t been discovered until installing this latest update. Something smells fishy…

2 Likes

Maybe not.

Leveldb is known to be easily corrupted and maybe Roon should have put in checking routines before, but now that they exist, they show up issues that already in the database.

I certainly understand all the angst and would feel the same way if my Roon database and history was lost forever, but let’s not go down the route of conspiracy theories so quickly.

6 Likes

Did you have a sucessful update? If so, please describe your setup. Thanks.

Using the hardware excuse for failures of the update is lame. No problems before and now everyone’s databases are corrupt. Sorry …… it’s the software and the programming and we all have to do fresh installs and then set everything up from scratch. Disgusting. We pay amd devote alot of time and low that is wasted due to poor PAID software. Sort it out Roon

3 Likes

Mine updated fine
Running Roon on Rock, Powered from a UPS for highest possible reliability.

Don’t think that I am not understanding for those that have database corruption issues, I totally feel for them and I did say that in my previous post.

My point was not to quickly jump to conspiracy theories when leveldb (the Roon database engine) is known to have potential issues.

2 Likes

Clearly many like yourself have had smooth updates. The guy who designed my custom roon server had multiple clients, like you, that had smooth updates, and others, like me, who probably can’t use roon anymore or at least lost all their data. At least for Windows machines, his clients with Server 2019 did fine, those of us with Server 2016 did not. That doesn’t sound like a hard disk corruption issue to him, nor I.

2 Likes

Ben I’m not blaming hard disk issues or anything else.
I’m also not writing off issues with particular software like Windows 2016 as there is just so much variability in environments. One of the reasons I ended up moving from Windows to Rock was that it was an easier and simple environment for Roon to work with, and nothing else to get in the way.

I do feel Roon should have built in testing for database issues before now, but sadly they didn’t.

4 Likes

It is good that Roon have now put a routine database check in place. Because of the problems with leveldb I routinely check the integrity of my backups. I know that I shouldn’t have to, but I’m a “belt and braces” person. I agree though that it must be extremely frustrating for those who have been using corrupt backups without knowing that they’re corrupt.

2 Likes

Yes that’s exactly my thought.
Should have been there before, but now it’s there it will be good for the future Roon user’s.

Just a total disaster for those users impacted especially if they have years of listening history lost.

3 Likes

Why do you think the corrupt databases were working fine with prior version?

From info given by Roon staff on this and other threads. However it would appear that there’s been an interesting discovery on one of the threads that the “corruption” might be down to differences in how a database is being read on 880 - so the word “corruption” might not be right.

2 Likes

And now many like myself are left with having to start all over again. You pay for a software and expect it to run with little problems. I have to say this is the worst experience ever. And I had a party this being and made to look a fool. Not happy at all and all Roon do is blame it on our hardware. Nothing wrong with my hardware . All 6 months old

4 Likes

There could be other issues there.
But Roon now has enhanced database checking that was not there before, so no checking was ever done.

In the scenarios above with Windows 2016 are there correlations about which platforms seem more susceptible, and what are the differences in platform support for Roon on those platforms?

Hope you don’t mind but I submitted my roon server logs to you. I have the same issue. Whether restoring backup or creating new database as per knowledge base instruction, no audio devices are visible nor does roon scan/load my library. I’ve got a support ticket posted under my name. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don’t know enough to say. My server builder is the expert on this, not me unfortunately.

Hopefully Roon can correlate some of this information and help us understand how many people this is impacting after updating to build 880.

Not helpful for those of you living with this corruption I know, but hopefully something good comes out of it in the end.

1 Like

Seems you are in the same boat see Update to Roon 1.8 Build 880 corrupts my Roon Core database [See Staff Note - Roon Gathering Logs]

Thank Keetakawee .from Fidelizer …maker of NimitraS …for figuring out RooN ‘s screw up

Assuming that most of these corrupted databases were running OK before build 880, what is it about build 880 that prevents them from running now? If it’s simply that Room implemented an “on-the-fly” database integrity check of some sort, why can’t that be disabled for some or all Roon users for a period of time?

Or, issue two stable releases. Have one with the “on-the-fly” database check and one “special” release without it. Let customers who have database issues, roll over to the “special” release for a period of time. Give them 90 days to figure out how they want to proceed, then remove the “special” release version.

Finally, is there not a way to find and correct the corruption within a database? Seems like there should be some tool somewhere that could scan the database for problems.

1 Like

same here ! very disappointed to this update…