Update to Roon 1.8 Build 880 corrupts my Roon Core database

Submitted B880 logs from my primary ROCK server.
This is for a newly created Roon Core database using a restore of backup of an existing B831 image.
I also have a RoonServer_old on this NUC I can reinstate, if required.
Now going to try the B882 release on this NUC/ROCK server.

Update B880 updated to B882 on this ROCK server and the Roon Server started up, the Library was correctly present in the Roon Remote app briefly, but then the ‘Database Corrupt message’ displayed and Roon halted.
Now trying a Restore of a past Backup on this Build, to see if the update process manages to do anything with a past B831 backup image.

I am also building a fresh B880/B882 Roon Core database on my backup ROCK server, so I have something operational for the Christmas period, but without the existing Playlists, Library Tagging, and organisational of my previous Library.

Further Update The restoration of a B831 Backup into a B882 environment, fails in exactly the same way as with the B880 Build, i.e. An update is applied to the database once restored from the Backup, and then Roon Server on startup halts dead with a database corrupt message.
No no improvement with the B882 build and at present no solution for an existing Roon Core database prior to B880/882.

Will submit the logs from the B882 instance - but will probably tell the same story as the ones from B880

2 Likes

That they used a shaky, open source database platform without having some sort of repair option available to users to fix their libraries in the event of corruption is either lazy, incompetent or both! This possibility of total failure has been flagged for years by various users and it has been ignored. Any decently written update to Roon would have rolled itself back DURING THE INSTALL if the new version found something amiss or incompatible that needed to be addressed rather than the damn thing going ahead regardless and leaving users with nothing to play!

9 Likes

I have now done a fresh install, Build 880 on server win7 64 pro. There was an update to version 882 after the server started.

What works:
my database is recreated very quickly, my old one is lost, my audio devices are recognized, smartphone with android or IOS is working, no problem since 3 hours.

What’s not working:
chromebook with roon app does not connect and is stuck in roon core search. The chromebook (tablet) was working before the 880 update.
Web display on Win 8 / Firefox 95.0.1 (64-Bit) also not working, black screen with “roon” on.

I would appreciate it if I was not deliberately kept dumb. It would be good to know what serious changes have been made, e.g. changes in network communications, changes in ports used, etc. This helps to find errors.

That serious changes have been made to the database we have now been told… !

1 Like

Roon’s web site. I also do not use FB or twitter. Very hard to find relavant content on Roons site

882 appears to have fixed the 880 update issues I was experiencing. :pray:

3 Likes

After updating to Build 882 I was able to restore from the last backup I had from before Build 880 and IT WORKED!

Perhaps the problem I had was not a corrupted database after all.

3 Likes

It told me I had a corrupted database too, even though I was able to play for a whole day on 880 before getting that message. But my machine does in deed have an older version of .NET installed, so I can use MS Synctoy to mirror my music libraries between two SSDs on 2 different machines, so maybe that is indeed the reason and not the DB or “hardware failure” (my mini-PC which I am testing Roon on being not 3 weeks old, it is perhaps possible though highly unlikely…and the previous machine Roon was on is less than 1 year old). Maybe there is a better way to syn files than Synctoy, which is no longer supported…?

Nice to know but unfortunately these do not work for me. Windows 10 PC, build 882. Cannot get out of the Start Your Subscription loop, and cannot get past the Sign-In page loop when signing into my account. Are these two manifestations of the same problem?

PS - My .Net is up to date.

Or that the space used is just less than 1%.

With zero success in restoring B831 Backups in either B880 & B882, I am having to do what I did not want to do, build a fresh Roon Core database.

It is going to take a significant amount of time, to get my library back to where it was previously with B831 and some Playlists are lost forever, along with 6-years of library & Playback history, a big feature of the 1.8 release I recall.

I have some time over my Christmas holidays, but this certainly was not a task I need, as I spend enough time behind a laptop & working behind screens in my profession managing Software as a Chief Product Officer in the FinTech space.

So who do I bill for this work, this issue has already racked up a day of my time? BTW I am being serious, there has to be responsibility from the vendor in the quality of the product been shipped. You want everyone to be at the latest versions to reduce support burden of multiple version being used, you only provide support for the latest versions, you don’t offer any form of rollback to previous versions, so when the upgrade process fails like this and the customer is left without a working system, you need to step up.

9 Likes

From what I read, even doing this has not resolved the problem with many users. Good luck. Maybe 882 will help you create a fresh database.

I have lost a few hours’ db edits (one year old Roon user) but now I am not willing to dedicate myself to Roon for years to come. I submitted logs to Roon as per their request, didn’t even get a short reply back. Not promising. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

After last build update, fresh install, still it s not work on High Sierra Macbook Air 2011.

Firstly, i can see Roon’s homepage. In the settings, there is no audio device, even on board audio. After that close the roon and try to re-open, it said corrupted.

I can not use Roon anymore.

Anybody help?

Same for me.

What is your operating system?

I use to use Synctoys, and very good it was, when it became unsupported, and did not work well with later versions of Win 10, I used FreeFileSync, which is very good and maybe worth you trying?

I now use SyncBackSE, which is excellent, but not free.

Do you have a previous version of the install software (or could Roon make one B831 available, or does a user have one stored somewhere)? If you have a computer spare, you could install the older Roon and restore an older backup to extract/export all your playlists.

I use syncbackse to synchronize music between my main PC, NAS and Roon and I have been a happy user for over 10 year’s.
Well worth the cost

Phew. 882 appears to have fixed the mystery of the disappeared library for me.

Hope 88x fixes it for the rest of you.

Nope to do I have one - plus the Remote applications would have to rolled back as well.

The local playlist indexs tracks within the library, so once the database changes the indexing from a previous backup probably isn’t going to work anymore.