Updating your Roon Database

Windows 11PC
Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
16.0 GB
Runs to local HQPlayer

I have not used Roon for a few weeks. Earlier this week, running Roon direct from the PC I got a message “Updating your Roon Database do not quit or restart until this is complete”. I left the machine running for many hours, this did not change. This morning, trying Roon again, I got the same message. Thinking something is wrong, I downloaded and reinstalled Roon. I still get the same message, and Roon cannot be used from this PC.

Curiously, I tried accessing Roon using the iPad remote app, and Roon works just fine. Yet direct from the PC I still get the message “Updating your Roon Database do not quit or restart until this is complete”.

Maybe it will eventually update? But is this something that might take days to complete? Relative to some, my music collection is relatively small, maybe 1500 albums.

Is there a bug or an issue somewhere? Seems strange, Roon has been working fine for me for a number of years, no issues at all.

I have left my PC running for two full days now. If I click the Roon icon / shortcut I still get the message “Updating your Roon Database do not quit or restart until this is complete”. Roon itself does not open on this machine. Checking in Task Manager, “RoonServer” and “RoonAppliance” seem to be doing something, albeit very very slowly.

As the Roon app is still not working on this PC after two full days of “Updating” I do not know what, I can only assume something has gone wrong.

Roon server will be running on your “core” machine and i suspect that the GUI hasn’t been loaded, there should be a Roon link to load the GUI.

It does sound like the database update has got a problem, that said the file analysis can take sometime. @support had a few “days off” over the christmas period and are no doubt trying to catch up with support requests, hopefully they will contact you soon.

Yes, I appreciate that this is possibly the worst time of the year to expect rapid support from the Roon team! I am happy to wait patiently.

Meanwhile, I do not understand what you mean by “a Roon link to load the GUI”? In the past I simply click the shortcut to “Roon.exe”, the GUI loads directly. This has changed now, I click the shortcut to Roon.exe and I just get the “Updating your Roon Database” message flashing up for a fraction of a second.

Sorry, I thought that the message persisted - what do you see after the message goes away?

Nothing at all. Or at least nothing Roon related, just whatever else happens to be on the PC screen. The Roon updating message flashes up for less than a second.

So this:
Then gone:

I noticed in your screenshot of the Task Manager that the Roon app itself (the Roon GUI) wasn’t showing.

Are you sure that it is running? Perhaps it is crashing on startup. Check your Windows Event Viewer to see if that has information about a possible crash.

OK, see below. It looks like there is some kind of access issue.

Ah, that’s helpful. Try this:

An interesting suggestion Geoff. Historically I have had some issues, having a PC with multiple monitors and an Nvidia graphics card. So I have used this fix in the past.

The bad news is that I have just tried this, and it makes no difference to my current issue.

What you could try is first take a backup, then completely uninstall Roon (and deleting the database and settings in the process); reinstalling and restore your backup…

Actually, a correction

I do not seem to have a AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Registry\Client folder

What I do have is:

C:\Users\rostr\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Database\Registry\Client

Unfortunately I cannot make a backup as I cannot open the Roon GUI!

OK, some progress. Noting this from the Event Viewer :

Access to the path ‘C:\Users\rostr\AppData\Local\Roon.tmp\Database\Registry\Client\saved_window_pos.old’ is denied.

I changed the permissions for the “Roon.tmp” folder, and then Roon was back to working as it should.

So problem solved. Although I am curious why this problem was invoked in the first place.

Any ideas?

and also - many thanks to @Geoff_Coupe - without you suggesting that I look at Event Viewer, I would never have solved this one. So your input on a Sunday is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.