Upgrade RAM Nucleus Plus

I would like to upgrade the RAM in mt Nucleus+ to speed things up a bit as my library is approaching 200K tracks, between my library, Tidal, and Qobuz. I can’t seem to find instructions or the best RAM replacement for it. Any advice will be appreciated.

RoonLabs is many times on record that Roon OS crashes if it doesn’t have enough RAM, but if it doesn’t crash then it has enough RAM and adding more RAM does not make it faster at all.

This is because Roon OS does not swap virtual memory to disk, it’s all in RAM. So if any empty RAM remains on top of that it doesn’t help

1 Like

A Nucleus+ should be fine for 200K tracks though, but there may be certain library properties that slow it down. If you are experiencing actual performance issues it’s probably best to open a new topic in Support to get this addressed

1 Like

Moved to the Nucleus discussion category.

To provide a speed boost to an existing Nucleus (Rev A or B, regular or +) many have reported that changing the SSD as well a RAM change/upgrade to dual memory slots does the job.

I have the NUC7i7DNKE which uses the same NUC board as the Nucleus+, when I built it, I used the fastest Gen 3 PCI NMVe SSD I could find (the limitation is PCI Gen3). This is a

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB PCIe NVMe M.2

250GB is the smallest offered, so overkill for the Roon Database, but good to know there is plenty of space capacity. At 110k albums, I only have 95% usage.

Then for the RAM I fitted

Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Memory.

This been optimized for Laptop/Notebooks using the Intel 6th Generation Intel Core i5 and i7 Processors, as the NUC do.

I could of gone 32GB (2x16GB) at the same spec, but there is a doubling of cost.
There isn’t to go from 8GB (2x4GB) to the 16GB (2x8GB) these are virtually the same price now. However ROCK doesn’t seem to be hungry on RAM and certainly doesn’t affect operation until over 500k tracks.

These items can be found on Amazon and are very easy to fit.

Just remember to back up your Roon database first, so it can be immediately restored to the new SSD drive.

2 Likes

Is the ram upgrade a simple swap out, wasn’t aware the Nucleus Plus had dual slots for ram. I have nothing on the internal storage, all my music derived from ,library in NAS, Qobuz and Tidal

Hi,
The internal SSD is exclusively used for the Roon database, which is built as you add albums from any source.

Using a fatest device will improve the responsiveness of the server with the Roon Remote app.

Simon

2 Likes

Which SSD would you recommend?

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB PCIe NVMe M.2

As per my post above

1 Like

The M.2 SSD that holds the Roon OS (before it is loaded into RAM) and the SQL database for your Roon Library/Settings/etc. It needs to be fast but doesn’t need very much space (early revA N+'s shipped with 64GB SSD’s).

However, moving to two SODIMMS of RAM, of the correct latency and frequency (i.e. PCXXXXX/2400mhz or whatever the spec is for the DIMM that came in your device), often results in minor speed improvements for the UX. Many users have reported the same…and, aside from them all being delusional…it seems to be a zero-risk mod if it resides safely in your budget. I upgraded to 32GB (16GB x2) in my revA Nucleus Plus and am pleased with the upgrade. Especially as my wife has begun to use Roon more (and via her phone…using the dreaded airplay), the UX remains snappy.

2 Likes