Upgrading quality of music files

Hi,

I have a library with some CD’s ripped as 128kbit MP3’s. I’m going through a process of re-ripping these as FLAC.

What’s the best way to replace the files in my library without losing existing tags and edits?

I’ve tried deleting the old folder and adding the new one, and tried deleting the contents of the folder (MP3’s) and putting the FLAC files in. Either way I end up losing any edits / tags I had on the old one, and have a completely new entry.

Is there a way around this?

Tags are on versions so no way to achieve this I am afraid. One thing that’s been asked for many times.

Hope I got it right. You’ve lots of already (partially) manually tagged MP3s? And you like to copy these tags to the newly ripped FLACs, somehow?
Could get difficult. The new files should be able to hold the same tags you have in your MP3s, in principle But it’s very likely that the same single tracks will have different file names between MP3s and FLACs. So, how to copy just the tags from one track file to another? I currently have no idea how this could be done in a reasonable manner.
In general using e.g. dBpoweramp with all the ripping and tagging options is pretty nice. But, for sure, automatic tagging is never perfect and sometime is a bit frustrating ending up in a completely manual tagging.
On the other hand roon has an integrated meta data function. This allows for fetching meta data for albums and tracks. You can choose between very detailed options. And roon would show this meta data. But this data is never written into the files themselves as tags. And also this meta data is not perfect.
Maybe someone knows a way and a tool how you would be able to bring your MP3 tags to the corresponding FLAC files.

Not quite, it isnt the tags in the file I’m bothered about.

In Roon I’ve added some Roon tags on the album. I also overrode the title of the album shown in Roon. I lose both of these when replacing the underlying files in the album.

Unfortunately this is the case like all other Roon edits. See this, the other threads linked from there, and probably there are more

Maybe try and add the new files to the same mp3 folder without deleting the mp3s and merge that into the album. On top, you can set to hide duplicates.
Let‘s hear how that works, if at all - never tried myself!

If you can extract the MP3 tags into a text file, metaflac can be used to add these to the FLAC files.

Adding the new files to same the folder without deleting the mp3’s didn’t help.

Just to be clear - I’m trying to keep album title edits IN ROON and tags IN ROON - not the information in the files themselves.

That was absolutely clear to me, but worth a try to maybe conserve your edits - too bad it didn’t work out …