UPS for my NUC8i7BEH

I’m interested in a UPS for my NUC8i7BEH. Which do you recommend? Many thanks.

I use this: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD
It’s probably overkill for what it supports (NUC, NAS, Netgear Switch, router). But it has been worry free and everything runs smoothly through nearly weekly-biweekly power glitches during fall/winter.
You don’t really need a lot of storage power (VA) if you have a switchover generator system or short outages (my case). It just has to last a few minutes.
I have another CyberPower in another part of the house. So, I guess I like that brand.

That’s too pricey for my purposes but I’ll search for one that delivers 12-19V (according to: https://www.ebuyer.com/868776-intel-nuc-bean-canyon-nuc8i7beh-i7-8559u-barebone-boxnuc8i7beh3, where I bought it from)

Understand about the price. But don’t be confused by voltage and Power.
The voltage going into your NUC is 12-19 volts.
UPS are rated by VA (power). So as an example 425 VA UPS will supply 50 watts of power for 37 minutes. One like this costs about $50.
You don’t need a whole lot of battery power to run a NUC and a router through a short power interruption.

1 Like

OK but if the power goes off overnight…sounds like I need at least 8 hours worth!

That’s right. You are the only one that can determine how much backup you need based on your load and how long you need it to last. Most of the UPS suppliers have calculators to help you figure what you need. This is the one for APC

Great thanks!

1 Like

Or you can politely remind RoonLabs that allowing a UPS to shut your core down in case of power failure would be a good thing.

1 Like

If you have a Linux box connected to the UPS shared by the NUC (ROCK) you can initiate a shutdown of ROCK by executing the following:

curl <IP address>/1/poweroff

I use apcupsd with my UPS on Ubuntu and have added the following to the shutdown script:

#!/bin/bash
#
HOST=<IP address>
LOGFILE=/var/log/rock.log

printf "$(date "+%Y-%m-%d %T") : Attempting to shutdown ROCK ...\n" >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
if curl -sS $HOST/1/poweroff >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
then
  printf "\n" 1>> $LOGFILE
fi

exit 0

BTW other connected Linux boxes could be shutdown remotely with ssh user@host "sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now" &.

3 Likes

Interesting: https://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-uptime/fit-uptime-frequently-asked-questions/

Have done some research, I see your point.

UPS are there to give you time to act. Either by gracefully shutting down the system or getting a generator in place. Although, a NuC can be very power cautious and a big UPS may keep it going for hours that’s generally not all that cost effective. The UPS will beep and alert you to power failure. Just buy one that gives you enough time to get over and gracefully shut everything down.

1 Like

Thank you !!!

1 Like

I have an APC 750 UPS on my backend system, which includes my ROCK server. However my music library is on a NAS and not direct storage on the ROCK. The ReadyNAS units (main & backups) have integration to the APS UPC, and will initiate a controlled shutdown with low battery levels in the event of an outage. Although I only get about 10 minutes of on-battery operation from the UPS before shutdown, I find it very useful with dealing with the short power interruptions, which play havoc on spinning disk systems.

One word of warning , opinions may differ but deep cycle batteries are not really designed for continuous charge discharge. Each virtually full discharge reduces the life of the battery

I use a UPS as you suggest to power hi fi, PC etc the batteries lasted less than 2 years.

Strictly a UPS shouldn’t be used as a continuous power source at least not if you don’t want to keep replacing batteries which aren’t cheap

Maybe Google the usage of deep cycle

https://www.mkbattery.com/blog/how-extend-deep-cycle-battery-life#:~:text=Most%20deep%20cycle%20batteries%20can,damaged%20by%20your%20charging%20routine.

A UPS In theory should have sufficient power to allow for an orderly close down with no data loss, hence comments about db integrity if power drops during read/write.

We suffer regular power outages usually for up to 4.5 hours

Just my 2p

No good if I’m asleep.

My NUC just runs ROCK and there appears to be no way for the OS to recognise the UPS power is about to die. This is Xekomi’s point.

Such a great idea! This sounds like an ideal application for a $25 Raspberry Pi 3 A+ or even the $5 Raspberry Pi Zero.

1 Like

Yes, all you need is USB to monitor the UPS and a network connection to communicate with ROCK. A Pi Zero would probably do.

1 Like

Can you explain this to a non-techie? I know what a RPi is but want to understand how it hooks up with the UPS/NUC and what software gets installed on the RPi.

1 Like

A UPS connects to a single computer via USB and exchanges information about electricity supply and battery status. Likewise the computer can control the UPS, e.g. kill power.

A Raspberry Pi could be used for monitoring the UPS and initiate the shutdown of machines sharing the UPS, but not receiving the status information.

On Linux you may use software called a acupsd or nut. These are command line applications, so some knowledge of setting up Linux is needed.

1 Like