Upsampling beyond 96khz leads to continuous crackling/noise and playback in low speed

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock/Intel Nuc 7 i5 8GB,/ Roon Version 1.8 build 783

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet AVM Fritzbox 6490

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon Bridge DietPi Version 1.7 Buid 571 ethernet connected to router, USB to RME ADI-2 PRO FS

Description Of Issue

Sample Rate conversion beyond 96khz leads to continuous crackling and strange playback at low speed.
By default, i am using upsampling to 192khz for a long time. After upgrade to Roon 1.8 i am suffering the described impact.
I figured out that upsampling up to 96khz everything is fine. But beyond that, any file/source is not working anymore.
Clipping indicator remains off.
The issue is independent from source (Qobuz/local AIFF, 44.1 khz/96khz source/ 16bit/24bit).

Signal Path is typically as follows:

Thanks for any hint, Jochen

Add images

Hey @Jochen_Klein,

Thanks a whole lot for the clear description of what’s going on, as well as the screenshot.

I am very sorry for the delay in replying - we’re still catching up on replying to everyone :pleading_face:

I’ve moved this thread into our technical team’s queue, so they can offer more insight into what might be at play here.

Thanks in advance for bearing with us a while longer :pray:

Hi Roon Team, no news for 1 month now. I‘d appreciate if someone could start analyzing what‘s going wrong.

Thanks
Jochen

Here you can find a sample.
-44,1khz upsampled to 88,2 (all fine)
-switch to 176,4khz on the fly (starts crackling)
-switch back to 88,2khz (all fine)

Hey @Jochen_Klein,

I couldn’t agree more - it’s been too long. Words fail me in saying how sorry I am. Thank you for following up on your post and for the additional information.

I’ve bumped this up. You should hear back from our technical team as soon as possible.

Maybe this will help you. If not search the forum for Fritzbox there seems to be quiet some issues

Thanks for the hint. I tried it, disabled packet and hardware acceleration, also in different combinations.
Unfortunately, it doesn‘t solve my issue.

Hi @Jochen_Klein,
Roon build 790 is the latest official version.
Maybe you should try this.
I got similar results when my network (ethernet connection) was not the best.
Since I fixed that I haven’t had these issues anymore.
I tried upsampling up to 176 and 192kHz and had not these crackling/noise.
Sorry.

Maybe stop upsampling. Does it really improve anything? IDK.

As i described, upsampling is still workingas long as 96khz is the limit, I had not problems to upsample up to 384khz and above, But suddenly, for what ever reason, it does not work anymore.
Roon build is latest version.
I tried several ethernet connections and i also turned packet and hardware acceleration off in my router (fritzbox cable 6490). Without success.

Hello @Jochen_Klein ,

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Can you please confirm if the same behavior occurs when you connect the RME directly to ROCK, bypassing the Roon Bridge? Thanks!

Hi Noris, thanks for taking care of my issue.
I checked without the roon bridge and connected Rock server directly to my RME DAC, as you suggested.
The behavior disappeared. So it seems to be cleary caused by the roon bridge.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.