Upsampling for EQ

Hi Rugby, I did have read the IP link. It seems to me a lot of conversions are going on with DSD EQ, not simply a pure computation I expect of DSP ( I don’t know much about it ). Further, DSD64 is equivalent to PCM96/24. If I set the DSD64 first to be converted into PCM384/64, then EQ will be done on upsampled signal which could reduce resolution loss caused by EQ. Most good DSP in the market are working on higher bitdepth, 48 or 64 bit, not 24.
My EQ settings reach as far as +/-12 dB due to irregular room acoustic characters.
Thank you for your patience with me.

DSD and PCM are so very different. DSD is 1 bit. I am quoting from the post to make it clearer:

This works like this:

Start with a DSD stream, and widen from 1 bit-per-sample to 64 bits-per-sample

1. Apply a low pass filter to remove the bulk of the inherent noise energy from the widened signal.
  2. Apply processing steps to the wide intermediate format.
  3. Send the signal through a sigma-delta-modulator to re-render the “wide” 64-bit
    stream into a 1-bit DSD stream.

So, Roon is widening the 1 bit DSD stream TO 64 bits. Doing the EQ, and then rendering it back down to the standard 1 bit DSD stream. Unless you want your output to your DAC to be PCM, I would not change the DSD to PCM.

Thank again for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.