Upsampling pops & dropouts

Roon Core Machine

|OS Name|Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version|10.0.19044 Build 19044|
|Processor|AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)|
|Installed Physical Memory (RAM)|16.0 GB|

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core connected to modem/router by Ethernet. Synology NAS + USB HDD holds local library. Qobuz for streaming.

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC connected to Core PC by USB.

Number of Tracks in Library

150k tracks

Description of Issue

Upsampling 44.1kHz to Max PCM Rate (power of 2) sounds great but causes pops & dropouts, so can’t be used. Trying to avoid buying a Chord M Scaler, so would consider a more powerful PC for the core, if that would help.

I feel there are fewer dropouts when playing Qobuz files rather than NAS files, but it’s marginal.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

There’s really no point doing this with a Chord DAC, since they perform better with the source bit-depth and sample rate…

Nonetheless, you could try adjusting Rsync delay under device settings.

You could benefit from improved single-thread performance rather than a powerful PC, i.e., all you need is an i3 or equivalent to run Roon in most situations.

2 Likes

Isn’t upsampling what the Chord M Scaler does? Maybe I misunderstand. I assumed I might be able to avoid buying an M Scaler by just using Roon’s upsampling instead.

Thanks. Tried various Rsync delay values but didn’t help.

Switched from ASIO to “WASAPI Exclusive mode” TT2 driver and Roon upsampling now works perfectly, although I am ‘limited’ to 384kHz. Still, definite SQ improvement to CDs and easier than buying an M Scaler.

Perhaps the Chord ASIO driver is just pants? I know it doesn’t work with Qobuz PC app.

You do not want to upsample with a Chord DAC usually, just send them the original signal bit-perfect. You have spent a TON of money on their solution which includes upsampling of the incoming signal in the TT, this is what TAPS is all about.

Here is a post on head-fi from Chord designer Rob Watts. Extract point below:

My advice over many years has been not to use up-samplers, but to always feed my DACs with bit perfect data, as the WTA algorithm would always do a much better job than conventional algorithms in terms of recovering transient timing more accurately and hence better sound quality and musicality (musicality being defined as being able to get emotional with the music).

You might want to read the full post over there.

4 Likes

Thank you. Did Rob Watts not design the M Scaler? I guess designing a product is not the same as endorsing it.

He did, and if you read the post I linked he goes into a lot of detail about it and touches on the M-Scaler. It is a very long post.

If you wanted to replicate what the M-scaler is doing, to the same level as what Chord does internally, that would be investing in HQPlayer.

1 Like

OK, thanks. Penny dropped. Wallet open.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.