Uptone EtherRegen and ASR

Maybe spend more time updating the roon kb?

Yeah, I donā€™t rate.

3 Likes

While there sure is a lot of bloviating and skepticism about the whole EtherRegen thing, they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

So Iā€™m going to order one and check it out.

Why not? The worst Iā€™d be out is shipping.

3 Likes

I received mine 17 months ago and itā€™s still there doing a thing well for what itā€™s been made forā€¦what ever it is.

2 Likes

How would a correct measurement be performed in order to please (or justify) better SQ ?

I also like to hear your opinion about John Swenson white paper.

Been there done that a thousand times. Itā€™s always confirmation bias that audiophiles ā€œwith more money than senseā€ hear things that ā€œarenā€™t actually there.ā€ However, itā€™s miraculously NOT confirmation bias that ASR and his ilk donā€™t hear any difference when measurements are equivalent, despite the fact they donā€™t actually listen to any of the gear they test! Not sure why itā€™s controversial that the human ear is influenced by more things than SINAD. A turntable measures infinitely worse than a 30 year old CD player. Are we still going to argue that the CD player sounds better? News flash - those measurements are useful to an extent but do not represent the full spectrum of how human hearing works, nor do they consider that different people have different tastes. Just like how we donā€™t all like the same tastes, sights, smells, and touches. Itā€™s quite simple, really.

Iā€™m waiting for ASR to start Food Science Review. He can go around to restaurants and order a bunch of food, dump it all into a machine to spectrum analyze it, and proclaim what food is better based on fat content and sodium level without ever eating anything. Sounds thrilling.

4 Likes

Well, thatā€™s wrong, so what else in this post is wrong?

Of course we are. Thatā€™s why CDs killed off vinyl. Only nostalgia brought it back.

Now, reel-to-reel tape, on the other handā€¦

1 Like

Have you read the ASR EtherRegen review?

I agree with the fact that Amirā€™s measurements donā€™t always show the full story - Iā€™ve seen stuff in his videos that may apply to the US, but not in the EU (discussions about house grounding) and some gear that measured well but interacted poorly with other gear.

However, the EtherRegen is just bull. I consider myself an audiophile and many times I do exagerate stuff and use overkill gear, but at heart Iā€™m a computer engineer and I have a relatively good idea about how networking works. Iā€™ve read the EtherRegen whitepaper and other than noise injected through ground connections (which can be eliminated by using a wireless connection), there is no proof in there on why their gear works. Any decent computer engineer can tell you this.

Then you have people saying they hear a difference as if the human ear/brain combo is a highly precision instrument. It is not. For most people I can play an E note on my guitar or piano, wait a minute (like the time it takes to switch switches, pun indented), and then play an Eb. The regular audiophile will tell me itā€™s either the same note or a different noteā€¦ but the ratio is 50-50 because itā€™s all random. Except for the lucky few that have absolute hearing, you canā€™t tell apart two notes a half tone apart unless you play them one after the other (or you have another fixed reference point). Audiophiles somehow think that if they have spent so much on gear they have absolute hearing.

Also, itā€™s funny how people can trust someone has an interesting in selling something over someone that is completely unbiased (like meā€¦ I donā€™t care if you spend your money in the end, thereā€™s no gain or loss for me).

5 Likes

listening and measuring are not in conflict- the 2 inform each other.

1 Like

lol stop lying

Then Iā€™m sure he also can tell you why phase noise matters in digital transmission, and why stressed eye pattern testing is used.

Have you tested the EtherRegen yourself ?

Like you, Iā€™ve been enjoying my ER delusion since Jan ā€˜20. Curiosity got the better of me 60 days ago though, so I tried the ENO Ag Ethernet filter from Network Acoustics which lā€™m sorry to say brings even greater sonic benefits.

ASR will really hate this passive device with no complicated explanations or White Paper to justify the expense.

My Uptone has been moved to System #2 where it is still doing whatever it does to enhance realistic music reproduction.

1 Like

This is why I specifically stated computer engineer. Not all engineers are equal - we have wildly varying fields of expertise.

Now, getting back to your question, I can probably tell you in not the most scientific terms whatā€™s up with jitter (since thatā€™s what your basically asking). The only problem isā€¦ itā€™s not really applicable to Ethernet (not in the way you think). Youā€™re confounding buffered/packet based transmission (which is networking) with bitstream (which is USB audio, S/PDIF or I2C). Just like not all engineers are the same, not all digital transmissions are the same.

I am happy to go into detail about this if you want.

Back to the bigger picture, itā€™s easy to measure if a device does a job properā€¦ especially when the manufacturer says it improves a specific metric. You measure that particular metric before and after and if the difference would be there, youā€™d be able to measure it. If someone gives you a ruler and says itā€™s 12ā€, someone can take another ruler (a certified one) and check on video. If itā€™s not 12ā€, thenā€¦ itā€™s not 12ā€. I donā€™t need to use it in my home to valide that it is or it isnā€™t 12ā€. Do you see the difference here? Someoneā€™s measuring a claim about a ruler, while someone else is just using the ruler to draw straight lines thinking their lines are straighter because the ruler is 12ā€. They refuse the first personā€™s findings because they tested the ruler and the lines come out straighter.

5 Likes

Thanks and spot on. But even when evidence punches some audiophiles in the face, snake oil sellers will keep thriving. Itā€™s ridiculous. But hey

5 Likes

There should be no offence in this discussion at all.
Somebody will continue with eR to purely enjoy listening a music
and
Somebody will continue to purely enjoy reading measurements
Win -Win for All of Us.

1 Like

Ah yes. It it only were that simple. Enjoying music means you enjoy ā€œthe musicā€ and not fret about minute details that require absolute critical listening or else you miss them. Saying this because in the audiophile world ā€œdramaticā€ started to mean ā€œbarely noticeableā€ awhile back.

Someone asked above why do people like to rain on othersā€™ parades and tell them how to spend their money. I feel thatā€™s missing the point. Oneā€™s free to spend his/her hard earned cash the way they see fit. My problem in particular is when they start advertising their subjective experience as absolute despite tangible scientific evidence to the contrary. People without technical knowledge in the computer networking field will read this as true, due to many peopleā€™s testimonial towards this. Itā€™s a bloody dangerous snowball effect. Sure, you have 30day money back (if youā€™re in the US I assume)ā€¦ but for some itā€™s just as Mulder used to say: ā€œI want to believeā€

5 Likes

Make no mistake, there is no change in the soundwaves reaching your ears. Its your brain interpreting all inputs (not just sound) and telling you its better. You put your money in it, someone told you its better, it looks nice etc. Sometimes your just concentrating more trying to hear differences and focusing on parts of the sound that hey magically seem better.

There is a whole field of psychoacoustics on this. A proper blind test will be enlightening.

The guy who has been doing this for years, has ā€œexperienceā€, tells you you cant hear properly or your system is not resolving - run away!
I have a buddy who makes cables and has made a fortune from these guysā€¦

2 Likes

These guysā€¦ which guys? Are you saying your buddy was making fake cables charging a fortune that did nothing, or all cables in general do nothing?

Does your buddy have a website on his cables? Or was he just duping family and friends through word of mouth, making a fortune in the process? Very interesting life story of yours.

1 Like

Recently I have been decorating a utility room we had built and my attention to inconsequential detail has been brought to the fore of my mind along with the analogy of Ethernet switches, uber exotic cables and mains conditioners etc.

I am so close to the work, I could spend a lifetime touching it up and fiddling about, when actually I am completely out of touch with reality. Step back, It looks greatā€¦

Once the room is fitted out, we will just walk in to use it with out even noticing a paint ripple here or a small plaster bulge there. Wether the paint colour (spelt correctly) saturation is greater on this wall or that, yet my focus been drawn to it for now.
Itā€™s time for me to let it go and enjoy the fact the room is built and we can appreciate the function it allows.
For for Uber critical listeners to their already amazing Hi Fi systems, I would suggest the same :joy:

Just a few thoughts as I wait for the paint to dry ā€¦