USB DAC Module in my Lyngdorf 2710?

I did above.

Thanks for your information and your review!

Thanks Peter. I have decided to stay with the D2 balanced into the Lyngdorf TDAi-2710 instead of using the Lyngdorf USB., either works well, but the D2 since it is paid for and I own it, it adds extra options going forward depending on what happens or what I do. I have enough info gathered from different sources , including Lyngdorf, that their processing internally is very clean, and has to be for room perfect to work. The fact that everything is converted for processing to 96hz, I still process everything into DSD 64 from ROON, unless it is already a DSD (dsf) file. My uneducated reasoning is the better the analog signal into the Lyngdorf, the better the digital processing leaving the Lyngdorf…

1 Like

Wayne,
While it sounds like you’ve decided to stick to the original setup, I wanted to provide some info in case others can benefit from them or in case you change your mind and want to take advantage of the Lyngdorf USB DAC.

I also have the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 integrated amp with the USB DAC module. I am using the internal DAC and love the quality of this DAC. I should add however that my only comparison point for a DAC so far have been my Oppo Sonica DAC and DACs in home theater amps. I have tried various configurations until I ended-up with my current setup which I believe produced the best sound.

I use a Roon ROC as my music server - I built it myself using a Core-i7 Intel NUC which I installed inside an Akasa Plato X8 Fanless Case. Highly recommend this case, stays cool no matter what. I only have SSDs/M2 drives, so no mechanical noise from drives and no fans.

I first connected the Lyngdorf directly to this Roon ROC server’s USB port. I could tell the sound was not that great, sounded muffled and mid-range and sound stage were poor. I then connected an iFi iSilencer to the USB port. I could not tell if there was any difference. Next I built a RaspberryPI with RoPieee (https://ropieee.org/) in a fanless aluminum case and streamed the music to the RaspberryPI from my Roon ROC server (Ethernet connected to each other via an Ethernet switch). I could immediately hear a difference in sound quality. Much improved sound stage, the highs sounded more clear, and the muffled sound was gone. Adding the iFi iSilencer to the USB made some slight improvement, or maybe that’s what I wanted to hear. I had this setup running for a while and was happy with it. I had also upgraded the power supply for the RaspberryPi/RoPieee (iFi iPower Low Noise Power Supply, 5v). Again, if there was an improvement, I couldn’t tell.

Finally, I purchased an iFi iPurifier3 USB filter. I was certain there won’t be any difference, but surprisingly, the iPurifier made some improvements to the sound I was hearing, subtle differences, but I felt I could tell the difference. So I removed the iSilencer completely and now my setup is as follows:

Roon Controller (Mac, iPad, etc.) --> Roon ROC server Ethernet --> Ethernet Switch --> RaspberryPI/RoPieee USB --> iFi iPurifier3 USB --> Lyngdorf USB DAC

I am very happy with this setup, playing anything from CD quality to 128 DSD files with great sound.

Hope this helps!

Hi @rfarassat

Thank you for your extended information. I am very glad with it.

Can you give some more information about the exact type of Raspberry you are using? I have the same Lyngdorf amplifier as you with a USB module. On this moment I have the Lyngdorf USB connected to a Synology DiskStation. I am satisfied with this but I am curious to using a Raspberry as endpoint (with a USB connection to the Lyngdorf).

Alfred, I am using a RaspberryPi 4 Model B, 2GB. The case I am using for it is Vilros Raspberry Pi 4 Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy Pi Cooling Case which I bought on Amazon. Let me know if you need any additional information.

I should also add that I am using a WireWorld Starlight 7 USB audio cable between RaspberryPI and iFi iPurifier3 which then connects directly to the Lyngdorf’s USB port. While I was a skeptic before on the benefits of a better USB cable, I believe upgrading to this cable did help improve the sound quality.

Ramin, thanks for your additional info!

I was thinking about using a Raspberry Pi 4 but doubt if the sound quality (via USB) would be better than using the USB port of my Synology NAS. I have tried a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ (via USB) but sound quality with that device was terrible.

Hi, I’m using an Core I5 on a MSI motherboard with a USB cable (Audioquest cinnamon) direct into a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 only SSD’s as storage and win-drive. No problems with sounds from the pc. They are almost next to each other. Works out-of-the-box with WASAPI under win10. Great sound.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.