USB disconnection woes with Expert line (200)

Agreed the upgrade does sound better to me out of the box - btw have you tried the AIR protocol on the “n” wireless band - I find on this band the “AIR” works well on wifi in my setup on windows 10 - have been using this over the Ethernet without any issues.

No, I only use wired Ethernet, and have vowed never to touch AIR again. :rage:

Actually, I broke that vow after all the positive feedback about AIR3 but it was short lived - still get dropouts here - then gave up again. In my opinion the underlying instability with AIR is in its design and it’s just been patched up more to try and make it work. Whatever in my setup causes dropouts I’ve no idea - but AIR is the only thing that ever been affected. In desperation I upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.11 to see if that made a difference, but that upgrade process made Roon stutter occasionally (after being rock solid for a year). So I finally did a fresh install and that fixed Roon - I never ended up trying AIR on it in the end. I’ve no doubt Devialet will break it again at some point even if they fix it, so I can save myself the hassle in advance. :slight_smile:

To be honest I only really upgraded my hardware to preserve the investment. I really resented handing over the money - they’re not a brand I like from a customer service POV and they’re full of BS. But they did make a great sounding piece of kit in the Pros. Unlike the Devialet diehards, I was much less impressed with the 200, but the Pros a step up for sure.

Steve did you do a home audition of the Devialet 200 before you bought it?

Steve, I’ve been following your trial and tribulations for awhile. Interesting stuff!

I was also extremely frustrated with AIR 2 and 3. I’m using their Windows 3.0.1 beta version of AIR now and I’m no longer experiencing any problems. But, I have seen a few similar reports with the latest 3.0.2 RC so I haven’t gone there yet. Devialet is amazing with hardware, but software… at least AIR… not so much.

When I was struggling with AIR I did pop for a Sonore uRendu which works extremely well. But now I find that occasionally, it seems to go into a coma that requires a reboot to fix. But the reboot always fixes it. Most of the time I now use AIR 3.0.1 beta over ethernet, but do switch the the uRendu running Squeezelite when I want to sync it with other Squeezeboxen for multiroom playback.

Bought a 220 Pro to compare to the 200 and have now sold the 200. It’s definitely a step in the right direction from the 200 although I was quite enamored with the 200 when I first bought it. Now I want a 440 Pro … no you don’t … yes I do… no you don’t…

Note to self: get a life

1 Like

I do like the sound quality of the 220pro - it is appreciably better sound - also must say I have been very impressed by the service and support of Devialet - the whole turnaround was done in within 4 weeks and delivered just prior to Xmas with continuous updates from a “Ming Ming” in Paris - I think the SQ of the wired Ethernet is on par with AIR and obviously the more stable option ( I have been lucky with no drop outs on AIR) so you are definitely not missing out. I would stick to Ethernet and enjoy the music!

Sounds like AIR Beta is more stable on windows as compared to MAC.

Well, I use wired Ethernet into a microrendu and then USB into an Intona and then onto the Devialet.

If one day Devialet get their RoonReady act together (and follow the vast majority of other leading brands) then I’ll finally be able to go wired Ethernet direct without having to use AIR. Meantime, my current setup suits me fine.

I reckon the SQ from the mRendu is on par with AIR - at least I cannot tell the differences in SQ in my set up - so again you are not missing out - I don’t use mRendu as I find it superfluous in my setup with the Dev - but if I did encounter AIR issues I would happily use that option via Ethernet/ USB.

1 Like