Use Presonus Quantum as DAC....... or invest in something else?

Hi all,

Here is my current setup:

• Roon core on windows machine that I use for audio production stuff as well
  • Presonus Quantum 2 audio interface
  • Cheap tpa class d amp
  • KEF LS50 speakers
  • Treated room with an ungodly amount of roxul safe n’ sound.

As you can see it is sort of a Frankenstein’s Monster blend of audio production and HiFi hifi gear.

1. Is it worth creating a second system?

2. Is the DAC on the Presonus any good? The specs and link below. I would assume it’ll do fine, but I found no mention of it on the forum here.

If I do build a second system then I was thinking about building the Seigfried Linkwitz LX Mini speakers.

1. Has anyone compared them to the KEF LS50s?

Thanks in advance,
John

Here are the Presonus Quantum 2 specs.

#### Main and Line Outputs
Type ¼” TRS Female, impedance balanced, DC coupled
Maximum Output Level +18 dBu (Balanced)
Frequency Response 20 Hz to 20 kHz (±0.05 dB, unity gain, 48 kHz) & 20 Hz to 40 kHz (±0.15 dB, unity gain, 96 kHz)
Dynamic Range > 118 dB (A-wtd)
Total Harmonic Distortion < 0.0035% (1 kHz, +4 dBu)
Output Impedance 51Ω

Looks like the DAC chip is the AK4413

I’m not saying I’m about to offer advice, but knowing how big the room is would help if i were :slight_smile:

My 2c.

1. In absolute sound quality terms, pro audio (production/studio) gear is better value than “Hi-Fi” gear. The margins on Hi-Fi gear are crazy; the margins on pro audio gear are not.

2. The marketing departments of every audio interface manufacturer claim that their converters are class-leading and state of the art. Be that UA, Presonus, RME, Antelope, Focusrite, SSL, Apogee, etc.

3. There are many audio interfaces with excellent A/D and D/A converters; generally speaking, the more you pay, the better converters you get.

4. I don’t know how good your Presonus Quantum is and I’d wager this is not the right forum to ask; I’m sure the internet is your friend. Much depends on how much it cost and your budget. If it was $500, it’s unlikely to match a $5000 device…

Thanks for the responses. It has been hard to find info on the Presonus online. AudioScienceReview suggests that the DAC is worse than a Topping D50 or E50. I’m thinking the best solution is to toslink from the Presonus to the Topping DAC. That would only put me back a couple of hundred and then I can see if it makes a big difference.

Room is 12x10.