Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

Additional behavioral note on the iPads that I just tried…

1. iPad mini 6 running OS 15.4 beta RC.

Doesn’t work at all as previously posted.

1. iPad Pro 11 running release 15.3.1

Inserting usb-c adapter does NOT switch the audio from the iPad speakers to the UP board input. BUT…if I unplug the USB-A side of the OTG cable and then reinsert it into the USB-C adapter while the music is playing then IT WORKS. Totally repeatable. But if I insert the USB-C adapter with the USB-A already inserted it doesn’t work. I have to unplug the male-A cable and reinsert it into the adapter and then the audio switches to the UP Board. Note: I tried these exact same steps with the iPad mini 6 and it DIDN’T WORK. So whatever is in 15.4 seems to break this working at all. At least for me. :wink:

1 Like

@Michael_Grant

How are you powering your Up Gateway?

Do you have a 5Vdc power supply?

Not that if you unplug the 5V PSU from UP, your UP may continue to be powered over the USB 3 cable… you can see the blue light near HDMI port still on.

To do a proper reboot of the UP, you need to unplug both 5V and USB cable.

And make sure iPad is charging at same time. Not an issue with Mac of course.

1 Like

But is the iPad charging during this? Or not? See my post above.

And how is UP powered?

Yes. I have a dedicated 5v power supply for the UP. I’m sure it is hard rebooting because I have it on a monitor for this testing to monitor the console output. And when I reboot I see the UP bios logo.

iPads are all running from battery charge. There is not power coming into the iPads from the USB connection.

Your Apple adapter allows charging. Can you try that ?

My iPad/iPhone always has the charging cable in the adapter, before I even plug into the iPhone/iPad.

None of this should apply to the Mac though.

Maybe do a proper poweroff of UP and do things properly with charging cable.

1 Like

I’ll try this but it doesn’t ultimately fit my use case. I mean if it is the only way it can work the perhaps. But I got a 10’ OTG cable so I could kick back on my office sofa to listen to tunes so have two cables into the iPad really cramps the flow. But I’ll test it and report back in a couple hours.

1 Like

Yeh use case is very personal. That will be your choice.

At my desktop, one extra cable clutter is not a problem. And I don’t want any power related drama while listening to music so it is always charging.

Again, looking to walk before sprinting. Can think about end use case and cable clutter later

But for now, just try to get it working properly :slight_smile:

I have it working, so just try to replicate my same setup. That’s really the only way I can help. Otherwise there’s too many variables.

After you gain your PhD in NAA UAC2 Input, you can tweak to your heart’s content :grinning:

1 Like

You could check how the USB-C adapter looks like when plugged into regular computer with something that shows the USB bus structure. If it contains a hub or something like that, it would explain because the USB device handling for the adapter and something behind it may be executed in different order.

Challenge always with USB is that for example at boot up you don’t have guarantee that same devices will end up appearing in same order every time. RME has been really nice to encode serial number into the USB descriptor. So if you have two ADI-2’s plugged in, they will always appear the same way because they have unique descriptors. Unlike most other DACs. If you have N pieces of same model USB DACs connected to a computer, they will appear in pretty much random order on every reboot!

1 Like

P.S. Sorry, my iPad is too old to have USB-C… It is an older iPad Pro with Lightning connector. So I always use Apple CCK with it to connect USB devices.

So to summarize my next steps:

1. Change to PCM output instead of DSD upsampling.
  2. Change HQP OS from x64 to AMD build (seems weird to use AMD build on an Intel 9900k)
  3. Plug in pass through charging to my Apple USB-C adapter using the C input while trying to plug the adapter into each iPad running 15.3.1 and RC 15.4.

Does that summarize correctly @dabassgoesboomboom? I can test all this tomorrow and report back to both of you.

@jussi_laako If all this just ends up being too unreliable my only options are to wait for you to find the issues and issue a bug fix release for testing. Which I am fine to help you with if that would be helpful. My other option is to revert to using the RME ADI-2 in place of the UP Board as I recall this was an option, correct? And it would support the various bit rates that Apple Music supports as well? I was planning to sell the RME when the Spring 3 arrived but if the RME is a more stable option for this multi-sample rate input to HQP OS then that might end up being the best thing.

Definitely keep the RME till you get (or not) UpBoard working.

The RME is very stable. There is a bit of work to get that working too though but if you get to that point, I can dig through my notes.

But from an iOS device you will need a USB coverter to feed the RME. I wrote quite a bit about this with you some weeks ago in this thread, so check those out.

1 Like

Yes but see additional comments I wrote earlier.

I mentioned earlier today, no need to do this just yet if you try PCM first. Something to consider later. the amd build will help a lot with DSD output with EC modulators. There is a tonne of discussion on my Embedded thread about it.

Yep

I think I will change it to “AVX2 build” in future. But just substitute “AMD” with “AVX2” for now.

That works fine for it’s inputs. It needs bunch of manual configuration file editing, because of the said serial number feature - device id’s contain hexadecimal device specific number. This is why I cannot provide ready to use configuration file for it. Remember to switch the device to “Class Compliant Multichannel Mode” if you use my configuration template.

ADI-2 supports all rates from 44.1k to 192k. And HQPlayer supports also DSD64 through DoP on it (just like USB too), because HQPlayer input feature supports DoP detection and unpacking.

2 Likes

Hm, sure first focus to get your current setup running, but you may doublecheck on this argumentation about advantages of Pro for you at a later point of time. Out what you write, I do not get the point? Anyway if really power is required, e.g. for mutlichannel upsampling with HQP, highend servers are not such expensive anymore…BTW myself has Prio not to have any cable at the iDevices, so accepting for this for AM to upsample 44.1/6 Alac only. Apple Atmos can even run via Bluetooth… For Hires still using other services via Roon-HQP. So no cable again at iDevice. But like dabass has written, it is all a matter of personal preferences….

(Sure, if you break AM DRM there are advantages for using Pro. But this should not get a topic here as most prob illegal atleast in Germany? But I am not a lawyer who can judge about this legal question.)

Looking back a year, now that Apple Music has hi-res tracks, how would you implement the #3 Black Hole input to HQPlayer given the variation in bit rates that AM has now?

I have Black Hole working as a 44.1 kHz input to HQPlayer on my MacBook Pro running Monterey. I’m concerned about the DAC in the Mac downsampling the hi-res sample rates from Apple Music before sending them to Black Hole → HQP. What do you think?

EDIT: I found your post earlier in this thread where you said that you had to manually switch sample rates in Audio Midi and HQPlayer to match whatever AM is using. Thanks. I was hoping, like Roon, TIDAL, VOX and others, that this setup would be able to auto switch sample rates.

1 Like

Well, myself using the „lossless setting“ in AM for this scenario. So, Apple streams already max. 48/24 to you. Myself could not find any cool solution for Apple Music using a virtual cable only. :roll_eyes: So for automatic samplerate switching for input to HQP you really need hardware fed from AM on an iDevice. Myself still not set to accept this menthally :rofl: Well using the Airplay 1 trick you get it all down to 44.1/16 using Airplay’s resample. Maybe, maybe, maybe, Apple uses 44.1/24 when streaming Airplay from an M1 Mac??? Might be placebo again, but I believe Airplay streaming from my M1 MB Air sounds better than from my Intel iMac??? @dabassgoesboomboom (Using systemwide output.Systemwide on Mac is prob. Airplay 1 Alac but Airplay Output from AM App itself is most prob Airplay 2 as of multiroom capabilty, so aac only. At systemwide Airplay output from Mac there is no multiroom and systemwide airplay output (from M1 Mac) is much more challenging for your network. Homepods (mini) are capable of lossless now, if you enable at Apple Home App. Atmos does not work with the minis, still you got already the switch for Atmos at Apple home app. (myself hoping for 10 minis jointly in Atmos one day with a little sub :blush:) So, Mac can stream audio 4x/24. Not only from Apple TV. I tried to stream first to Homepods and then to group with Sonos….Funny experiments…) PS Apple‘s „Airplay resample algorithms“ sound pretty cool imo and they are fast!! (prob implemented with hardware) I love them for upsampling mp3 128 to 44.1/16 ALAC e.g. for watching youtube music videos. Also (M1) Mac can stream AM Atmos via Airplay when set on systemwide, e.g. to my Sonos Port for Coax output. (Sonos Port - built in Airplay 2 - always! has 44.1 output on coax but up to 24bit depending on source) For iPad it depends with AM Atmos via Airplay e.g. streaming to Shairport works…streaming AM Atmos from iPad to Mac does not work imo, you getstereo track. Lots of funny experiments and yes, Apple is in the game too and changing stuff :sweat_smile: +++Upsampling an Airplay 1 ALAC stream with HQP sounds kuhl imo. E.g. Qobuz 44.1/16 or Tidal 44.1/16 too! Sure not what you can get from AM with hardware and automatic samplerate switching, but still super cool :sweat_smile: @Jeff_Bellune ++ To my old ears 24 Bit imstead of 16 Bit as source is more important than the samplerate fed to HQP :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yep that’s still the case but in later posts you’ll see 2 other methods that support auto sample rate switching.

1. Using UPBoard Gateway to feed HQPlayer over the network. Fed from any USB source via its special OTG USB port.

2. Using RME ADI-2 DAC or Pro. Jussi has done some magic that allows you to use the ADI-2 TOSlink, digital coax and AES3 inputs to again feed HQPlayer. Pro model takes analogue inputs too.09

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom @jussi_laako Reporting back with an update on my long path to getting Apple Music with sample rate switching working as per @dabassgoesboomboom 's success and my trying to replicate it. Good news! Hope this helps someone else…

Per the last set of actions I was supposed to test I decided to keep my DSD/SDM output and try the other two changes first to see if things worked. So here is what I did:

1. Changed my HQP OS installation to the AMD build instead of the x64.
  2. Added USB-C pass-through power for my USB-C adapter when using iPads

Not sure which of the changes made the difference - I suspect it was the passthrough power - but now all my iPads work flawlessly regardless of the iPad OS version.

So thank you for all your help and putting up with my endless questions and issues. The moral to this story is you need to replicate @dabassgoesboomboom setup exactly. Now just waiting for my Spring 3 to arrive!

3 Likes

Need a reminder on one question @dabassgoesboomboom

If I want to output from my Mac given I am using the UP Board INPUT is the variable sample rates of Apple Music still supported? I seem to recall that the Mac was limited to a fixed sample rate output regardless of whether the track was high res or not. Just confirming how this works with the Mac as the source. Thanks.