Roon Server Machine

Nucleus+ 32 Ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

Connected Audio Devices

Naim ATOM

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve installed Tailscale on 2 Macs, my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV. I would like to access my Roon Nucleus+ while away from home via the Roon app ARC.
I’ve installed Tailscale correctly and and all my machines are listed and connected with all the IP addresses as the same apart from the last 2 numbers.
ARC cannot connect to the Nucleus.
The Roon server IP address is different than the the other machines IP address on the network. The port number listed is 55002 which I tried to change to another number, but the number would keep reverting to 55002. Please advise.

@Paul_Elliott - I’ve moved your post from the Support category of the forum to the Tinkering category, as stated in the Help article on using Tailscale with the Nucleus:

1. If you’re still having difficulty using ARC with Tailscale, please post on Roon Community in the Tinkering category, where users are accumulating Tailscale/ARC expertise.

Community Resources:

As of this writing, the best source of knowledge on Community for subnet routing in Tailscale lives here: Tailscale implementation on ROCK (NUC) To circumnavigate ISP CGNAT for ARC

So are you, I mean Roon “Support”, offering a free “workaround” to overcome deficiencies in ARC’s networking limitations but not supporting it?
This is, IMHO, a rather strange path to venture down. Suggest users Install 3rd party software on a number of devices but offer no support should it (a) Not resolve the ARC problems & (b) cause unknown issues for users.

Relying on the community for any level of support is not a quality support service (irrespective of the help offered by community members)…

Rant over.

EDIT. I have loaded tailscale on my devices and ARC is still completely unreliable, Plexamp remains the reference for remote working.

EDIT 2. Another reinstall of ARC appears to have worked :crossed_fingers:t2:

6 Likes

I’m in full agreement with you @PixelPopper

@Paul_Elliott you may need to fully, step by step detail what you have done.

As you have a Nucleus device, you’ll need to setup a subnet router. I’d suggest using the Apply TV for this, easier maybe.

FWIW, I have Tailscale setup on my DietPi machine which is also running Roon Server.

I created my Tailscale account.

Downloaded the Tailscale app and logged in using the same account created as above.

I setup using the guide on here and setup both with the same subnets on my Tailscale account.

I set Arc up on WiFi. Once done I ensured Tailscale VPN was enabled on my phone. Then turned off WiFi and it works.

I also disabled expiry.

This may help others.

1 Like

I give it another try later, when i leave the bar :grin:

1 Like

Don’t forget to disable the port forwarding rule and/or your routers upnp

You can also, as the OP needs to, setup a subnet router. This’ll give you the option to access your whole network.

I can access my Roon Server and also SSH into my DietPi machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, It’ll be next week before I can do anything but I think I’ll just give up on ARC, I’ve wasted too much time trying to get it to work when I could be listening to music :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The caveat to this is I must have had the Remote app open on WiFi before going on to mobile data. Seems to not always connect otherwise. Also not the intended purpose for Tailscale in this case.

A good number of us feel this way.

I persevere only because……………why do I? :wink:

Hi @PixelPopper, @Menzies-Old, @Paul_Elliott,

Thank you for speaking out on this issue.

Roon initially made the decision to populate Tailscale support requests into Tinkering for two reasons:

1. We wanted to direct users towards existing Tailscale expertise pooled in that subcategory
  2. We didn’t want to subject users to support queue wait times when they had opted for a faster, unofficial workaround

However, the user base has clearly communicated the need for another layer of official support for Tailscale within Roon Community. We’re happy to provide this within the scope of our product and expertise. So, we’re going to make some adjustments to the backend mechanics and the support intake form to include basic Tailscale troubleshooting.

It will take a day or two for these changes to go live, but in the meantime, I’ll migrate this post over to Support where the team can assist. Please stand by and we’ll reach this as soon as possible.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update @connor hopefully a resolution will be found.

2 Likes

As it should be, thanks for clearing that up Connor.

2 Likes

A very positive response @connor and great to see Roon revising it so quickly

2 Likes