Using convolution filters on Roon Server for Linux

Hello,

I recently migrated my Roon Core from Windows to Linux. So far everything is working properly, but I don’t know how I can use my convolution filters. In the Windows GUI, I can load a convolution file on the core, which can then be remotely activated or deactivated with the remote apps (iOS and Android).

Is anyone using convolution filters with Linux? If so, how do you install them?
Nick

Hi @Nicholas_Seltzer, it’s me again. I use convolution filters for headphone listening. This is the knowledge base page: https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Convolution which you may or may not have seen. The usual process is to upload them from a Roon remote client running on a PC or Mac, it’s not possible from the Android or iOS remote clients. Once they’re loaded you can select them for use with particular endpoints. How are you trying to do this and what’s going wrong?

Hi Killdozer,
Thanks for the reply. I figured out that I could install the convolution files by connecting a PC and doing it that way.

I’m curious how you built your filters for your headphones. Do you have an EARS rig or something?

Hi @Nicholas_Seltzer, I don’t but I virtually know a man who does. This gives me a chance to give a mention to my favourite thread on this site:

It’s worth working through and the results have been good across 4 pairs of headphones and counting. I never listen to headphones without and would recommend experimenting with a little crossfeed also. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for the link. I tried plugging in some parametric EQ values for my HD 800S. Not bad. Sounds about like what I’d expect to produce on my own with an EARS rig or equivalent.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I tried using the wav files of the GitHub page mentioned above for my Sennheiser PXC550II but I get a message (translated from Dutch) that the audio file can not be analysed. I tried with both files in a zip file and with each wav file on itself.

Any ideas on what may cause this?

Cheers, Joost

Hi @Joost_Hooglandif do check out this post to make sure you’re not downloading the HTML files rather than the WAVs: Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer. If that doesn’t work if you post the link to the set of files you’re using on GitHub I’ll give it a go here and see if I can replicate the problem?

Thanks for your reply, @killdozer. In fact, I downloaded the wav files. Would be much appreciated if you can see if you can replicate the problem. Link to one of the files I used: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser%20PXC%20550-II%20Wireless/Sennheiser%20PXC%20550-II%20Wireless%20minimum%20phase%2044100Hz.wav

No problem will need my partner’s Windows laptop to check this out but will do so in my next work break.

You do use these files as a zip-archive in the DSP engine as convolution files, don’t you?

Guessing by the quote, it seems to me that you’re trying to import the files into the Roon database, instead.

1 Like

I can confirm that the two files zipped can be uploaded as a convolution filter

To be clear I downloaded both WAVs and zipped them into a single file. I suspect that @Marin_Weigel’s post above holds the answer.

Well apparently I did download the HTML files as WAV file… And it’s not that I never use a computer…
Filter is loaded now. Next step is the listening.

Thank you for your help and patience.

2 Likes

The problem is that the GitHub interface isn’t intuitive. I’ve been an almost daily git and GH user for more than 10 years. Seen lots of professionals make the same mistake (including me), hence the post.

Enjoy the filters, I’m a big fan :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.