Using RME Babyface Pro Audio Interface with HQP

In the past, Jussi has recommended the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R ADC/DAC Converter as a way to listen to vinyl in real time through HQP. The RME ADI-2 Pro FS has a lot more capabilities than what I need (for example, it has a DAC and I already own a separate DAC). Therefore, I have been looking at alternatives that allow me to keep using the equipment that I already have.

I just read about the RME Babyface Pro Audio Interface. This device has an ADC but no DAC which is just fine with me.

Questions:

1. Can the RME Babyface Pro Audio Interface be used to listen to vinyl in real time through HQP as well?
  2. Since this device also has an optical input, could I also feed it a separate digital signal to run it through HQPlayer as well?

My current set-up:
Windows Computer running Roon Core/HQP Desktop 4
DAC: T+A DSD 8
Roon/Qobuz β†’ HQP β†’ T+A DAC (computer and DAC connected via USB)
Running independent from HQP: Spotify-Connect: Via Rpi/Ropiie computer with HifiBerry HAT. Connected to T+A DAC via optical.

Proposed Set-Up:
Windows Computer running Roon Core/HQP Desktop 4
DAC: T+A DSD 8 connected via USB to computer running Roon/HQP.
Roon/Qobuz β†’ HQP β†’ T+A DAC (computer and DAC connected via USB)
Vinyl-> RME Babyface β†’ HQP β†’ T+A DAC (computer and DAC connected via USB)
Rpi/Ropiie β†’ RME Babyface β†’ HQP β†’ T+A DAC (computer and DAC connected via USB). Note: I want to run Spotify-connect with the Rpi/Ropiie via HQP.

Thanks!!

Well, it does have 4 channels of DAC… Stereo line output plus stereo headphone output.

Likely it works perfectly fine for that purpose on Windows and macOS. I don’t know if it works on Linux.

Likely yes, whether automatic sample rate switching works depends on the RME ASIO driver capabilities. But for fixed rate sources like Spotify, or RedBook from traditional CD spinner, should work fine. Just make sure to slave it’s clock to the Toslink clock (likely semi-automatic).

Here you need to use WASAPI for the Babyface input, since ASIO is reserved for the DAC. But if you run NAA on the same machine, you can use the T+A ASIO driver, since it is a separate application.

Since Spotify is fixed 44.1k, it should work fine.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Jussi!!