Using Roon on a dedicated server (like Kimsufi)

Hi !

I’m thinking about buying Roon software.

I just have few quick question before going to the labs…

• Is it possible to use Roon remotely through a dedicated server like Kimsufi ?
  • Any plan to use roon with Safari (or chrome) through a simply remote (I know that all functionalities need a faster computer, but I think is possible to make just a simple play website without functionalities like managing metadata’s)? When I’m visiting friends, I like playing music remotely. Actually, I’m using Plex but I don’t really like how the music is managed (wrong metadata, not very useful, etc.)
  • Any plan to support the *.m4a format ?

Thank you very much for your answer :slight_smile:

The .m4a format (AAC and ALAC) has been supported since day one. Remote accessibility is in the cards for some time in the future, but I would not bank on it becoming available anytime soon.

OK.
Thank you for your answer.

Then, if my understanding is correct, actually is not possible tu use Roon through a dedicated server (Kimsufi for example) ? Even if I use the Roon client on the OSX computer ?

[quote=“Albert, post:1, topic:10989”]
Is it possible to use Roon remotely through a dedicated server like Kimsufi ?
[/quote]Roon is designed for home use not cloud use and all connection must be on the same subnet.
That said if you’re good with networking it may be possible for you to setup a VLAN, but extensive collaboration with the hosting company such as Kimsufi would be required.
From a Roon Labs perspective having to setup special networking requirement for remote access is not the way forward for them thus longer term they wish to develop Roon further in order to seamlessly support more flexible scalable connections for remote / mobile use.

Any plan to use Roon with Safari (or Chrome) through a simply remote (I know that all functionalities need a faster computer, but I think is possible to make just a simple play website without functionalities like managing metadata’s)? When I’m visiting friends, I like playing music remotely. Actually, I’m using Plex but I don’t really like how the music is managed (wrong metadata, not very useful, etc.)
[/quote]Roon’s GUI is built on what might be described as a gaming engine, it built this way in order to deliver the best user experience it can. I doubt that Roon will ever have a browser based interface, but given Roon intent to improve mobile access I would expect the current mobile apps to support things like cloud connection and local cashing etc.

Any plan to support the *.m4a format?
[/quote]Also know as AAC and ALAC are supported by Roon.

The Roon Knowledge Base is quite a good source of information, and is being expanded almost daily based on the questions that arise on here.

Hope that helps.