Using Roon on Synology NAS. Is it possible to partition a disk on NAS instead of using USB for RoonServer

Roon Core Machine

Synology NAS DS3612xs CPU 3.1Ghz Intel Core i3-2100. SYNOLOGY Diskstation version 6.2.4-25556 Update 5. ROON on NAS version RoonServer_Synology_x86_64_2021-03-08 (1)
Roon V 1.8 (build 913) stable (64 bit)
Tablet iPhone Roon V 1.8 (build 913) stable.
Using Sandisk USB SSD 500gb for Roon Server db

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I’m using Roon via iPad or also iPhone to Synology NAS Core server connected to the Auralic Aries G1 via Ethernet then via USB to the Chord Qutest DAC. My Router is a Netgear D8500 fibre router

Connected Audio Devices

Auralic Aries G1 via USB into Chord Qutest DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

10000 plus tracks

Description of Issue

I am getting Roon errors when trying to use ROON which cannot find the ROON Core.
Currently I use exFAT USB 2 port connected to Sandisk USB SSD 500gb drive to store the RoonServer db.
Is it possible to partition the NAS itself to store the db instead of using USB?
I’m thinking that using a partitioned drive this might resolve my problem

This is not a good idea. Instead, you should install the SSD in an internal tray, and use this solely for Roon.

https://roononnas.org/en/synology/

Seems there were issues with the use of external drives for Roon Server that got resolved. Are you already on the latest version?
You should be able to point the installer to other directories too, at least that is what I read from the change log for the current version. Does it not work for you?

I agree with you, but it had been working correctly for some time, hence my post. I’m trying to find alternatives, as I suspect that recent updates on Synology might have caused this issue.

Thank you. I’ve just reloaded the package again from the RoonOnNAS site. I will monitor for further problems.
Incidentally, my Synology NAS will not run DSM v7, so the ROON software I am using is for DSM v6 release DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 5, so on ROON on NAS is Current Version: 2021-03-08

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.