Using Roon with the LMS-to-uPnP project

The SOtM sMS-200 is Squeezlite/LMS Network Bridge - that is recognised by Roon.

This is not what this thread is about though. Its about using Roon via a UPnP streamer by using the LMStoUPnP bridge not using a Squeezelite on its own which that is. It bridges UPnP to an instance of Squeezlite that Roon can see as a Squeezebox. The SoTM just runs Squeezlite and acts as a squeezebox endpoint only, it does not bridge UPnP in any way.

I thought both SOTM and Sonore make products that can bridge Roon to DNLA using the Squeeze protocol. The MicroRendu can certainly do this in addition to being a Squeeze end point.

I know Sonores all have their own bridgeand they also sell the UPnP bridge separately as a device
Not sure SoTM but if it can run LMS itself then they could also run the bridge via that I suppose. Expensive option though for something that may or may not work. I never had any luck with LMS2UPnP with my UPnP stuff.

Iā€™ve been using LMS-to-UPnP bridge for a while and am pretty happy with its sound quality and especially how the Roon app would trigger my AVR to turn on by a simple press of ā€œplayā€.

But I canā€™t help to wonder a dedicated streamer like the recent Eversolo DMP-A6 would provide a better sound quality, not to mention the additional MQA full decoding and native DSD support.

Has anyone here been using LMS who have migrated to a dedicated streamer? If yes, howā€™s your experience so far?

1 Like

Did you have any DSD files, do you have any multichannel music? If not why add something if you donā€™t need it. Whilst the DAC in the Eversolo is likely better unless the amp has a true analogue direct to bypass the digital processing function it will be redigitising the input so loosing any gains made, using it as digital feed is unlikely to be any different than using network playback. But in the end only you can decide if itā€™s worth it. When I used an external dac into my Arcam AVRs analogue direct so itā€™s a pure analogue chain in the amp it was an improvement over its internal DAC but not likely worth the extra expense but I stuck with it. Getting a dedicated stereo amp was a much bigger improvement.

I

I was a long time LMS user, and at one time had eight squeezeboxen, two transporters, two Touches, two radios, and two booms.

Iā€™m since migrated to dedicated streamers, including a micro Rendu, RPi/Ropiee, Bluesound Node, and a Good Note DS10. all have performed exemplarily.

recently compared the sound of the transporter (as a transport) to that of the Rendu, and preferred the latter.

May I ask what makes the Reneu better than LMS? Does it color the sound to your liking while LMS is just a transparent transport?

Iā€™m trying to figure out if the A6 would make aignidicant difference to what I already get from LMS bridge direct to my AVR.

1 Like

Yes I have a ton of DSD files, which are all downsamples by Roon to my AVR. Would A6 do a better job ā€œrenderingā€ DSD?

Yes my AVR does have ā€œPure Audioā€ mode via RCA inputs so thatā€™s why Iā€™ll be using the analog out of A6 to feed into my AVR. Iā€™m fact, Iā€™m even thinking of Master Edition just to get the best sound quality out of A6 because I will have to rely on its internal DAC.

Not sure how to determine whether itā€™ll sound better without testingā€¦

You wonā€™t get mulitchannel out of it, if youā€™re using the Eversolo as a DAC as well, you need to use HDMI out from it to the AVR and use its dac for that.

I canā€™t comment on if itā€™s a better renderer for two channel of DSD content only you can decide that.

1 Like

Iā€™m not familiar with the A6.

in my experience, the Rendu is quieter, which allows the music to breathe in a more relaxed manner.

I love the transporter, and loved the touch as well, but digital moves quickly, and the Rendu is justā€¦better, now.

1 Like

Yes exactly, thatā€™s why Eversolo is such as perfect device, connectivity wise. For MCH content, HDMI can be used but for 2-channel listening, one can use its RCA/balanced outputs to feed directly an amp/AVR in Pure Audio mode.

This does bring up a couple of questions:

1. When using LMS bridge to feed Roon directly to my AVR, does it mean the DAC in my AVR is used?

2. Can LMS bridge be considered a ā€œtransport?ā€ If yes, I wonder if anyone has compared the sound quality of LMS as a ā€œtransportā€ vs dedicated streamers like A6, Volumio, Wiim etc?

A couple of questions:

1. which Rendu model do you have?
  2. do you use LM bridge with it?
  3. how does Rendu comare with streamers like Wiim Pro (and just announced Pro+) and Eversolo A6?
  4. does any of Rendu models have Multichannel?

Yes itā€™s using your AVRs dac if thatā€™s the device with UPnP on your bridging to.

Itā€™s not a transport itā€™s just a stream, itā€™s just changing the protocol used itā€™s the same audio in a different package.

1 Like

I have the microRendu w/ 7 volt power supply, and I use it w/ Roon. Iā€™ve never heard the Wiim or Eversolo. donā€™t know about multichannel.

1 Like