/usr/bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu Server 20.04.1, Zbox CI662 nano, build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

UniFi Dream Machine router & WiFi AP, core wired to one of its RJ-45 ports. WiFi link to UniFi FlexHD AP that serves as a network extender for wired gear.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Pi 3B+Pi2AES wired to UniFi FlexHD via Cat 6 and Netgear GS105 dumb switch. AES3/EBU to Soekris dac1541 DAC, SPL Phonitor XE headphone amp.

Description Of Issue

I figured out the problem because I understand Linux errors, but this should be fixed or at least users should be warned. I was setting up a CIFS share for my Roon database backup. The CIFS server account (a Macbook Pro) had a double quote in its automatically generated strong password. This kept failing with “Unidentified error.” I only figured out what might be wrong when I looked at the Roon server logs and found entries like the one below. Once I replaced the password by one with just alphanums, problem solved.

10/16 23:00:44 Debug: [roon/cifs] PASSWD="******" /sbin/mount.cifs "//shasta.leeward/roonbackups" "/mnt/RoonStorage_0adb878384c5b26deabd19a2cb68c575135bed30" -o guest,nounix,iocharset=utf8,user="roonbackups",domain="WORKGROUP",vers=1.0 failed: (2): /usr/bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

1 Like

Hmmm. A shellscript which executes with root privileges and doesn’t sanity-check its arguments/environment-variables?

That’s inspiring of confidence.

I suggest you avoid changing your password to boo" rm -rf /;"

1 Like

Read the docs:

Except that this backup target is not a NAS, so there’s no reason for anyone to refer to NAS FAQs. CIFS works with passwords with special characters, but they have to be quoted properly to the Linux shell in the mount command. Roon’s behavior is a bug, and a simple one to fix at that.

I’m completely with you here.

Every part of Roon’s documentation that is about storage and SMB shares refers sooner or later to the documents I linked above. It doesn’t matter if a user deals with a device marketed as a NAS, has built it’s own or uses a share on his every-day PC/Mac. So users that read the documentation are already warned. Other users will most likely also not read your post.

It’s useless to have documentation if the error message is not clear enough to identify which document to consult. In this particular case, I used a password manager to generate the password and to enter it into Roon, so I never actually looked at the password itself. If I had not been able to understand the error shown in the Roon logs, I’d never have figured out what could be wrong. There’s no reason for a user to go study that documentation when they are doing something that works perfectly with other CIFS clients. I my case, I checked from another Mac and I could access that CIFS share with the password saved in my password manager, so I had no reason to think that something was wrong with the share.

Hello @Fernando_Pereira, and thanks for your report! Our QA team is currently investigating this issue and I have added your feedback to our tracker. While I can’t offer any timelines just yet, our team is working towards a resolution.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.