Valence Art Director in Roon

I have a large CD collection and I would say 90% of them do not have a photo of the band anywhere on them. In fact almost everything I buy is brand name, and no pictures of anyone on the stuff. I like bands for the product they make, music. I see the logo as a representation of that product just like I see all logos.

2 Likes

Apparently, votes are per “Profile” and not Roon account. I have 5 profiles set in Roon (Madame, Son, Daughter, Guest and myself). I was able to connect 5 times to Art Director, select a different profile each time, and vote. As a test case, I managed to bring “Sergent Pepper” Beatles from #6 to top position for Narrow Banner, voting 5 times for it. I don’t know if this is the intended behaviour.

Okay, you do your thing and add logos locally, ‘cos the rest of us want to enjoy pictures :love_you_gesture:

Then vote, I already said I’m enjoying the fact that things are changing, and watching the cream rise to the top. I’m not trying to dictate.

2 Likes

Perfect, maybe I can get rid of some of these wretched logos after all :upside_down_face:

Well it’s not because you “can” that you “should” :slight_smile: .
Beside the Beatles, I am refraining myself to vote multiple times from different profiles.

No indeed, I was of course being flippant. This clearly isn’t the right approach, and I wouldn’t be that disrespectful to my fellow Roon users, nor indeed do I have the time or energy.

However, as I hinted at a little further up, I do think there are significant challenges with this functionality. My dislike of logos is no more or less valid than @Winter_Fleury 's fondness for them, and there just isn’t a way to please both of us without some functionality changes, however much one believes in the power of crowdsourcing.

I would also comment that, however little say we had before Art Director, the defaults seemed far less likely to be logos than they are now, and I’d actually prefer no picture at all for an artist than a logo.

This! :slight_smile: (10 char)

@Winter_Fleury – you are disobeying the rules when uploading logos for non-bands. Look at the upload screen text. It says no logos for individuals.

Anyway, many of your uploads are being rejected, but if this keeps up, we’ll have to remove all your work and eliminate access to Art Director.

Please limit your logo uploads to bands that have trouble fitting in the avatar circle.

5 Likes

I agree that some logotypes are ill-suited to their proposed role in Roon.

Your basic upper-case, sans-serif, white-on-black artist marque looks bad in situ particularly as the small logo next to a search suggestion and should only be used as a last resort.

I think the Future Islands logo illustrates your point well:

I think logos in general work well but a majority of type-only marques I have seen in Roon do not.

This is why Roon’s design team need involvement here. It is unreasonable to assume volunteer contributors will make these kind of considerations when using Art Director.

1 Like

@Winter_Fleury is taking advantage of this too.

We are fixing this ASAP. Votes should be shared amongst profiles, per user. Extraneous votes will be removed.

7 Likes

I’ve been getting a little annoyed with this logo/artist photo dilemma too.
Some like band logos more - others like band photos more like me.
There should definitely be an option to choose between the two.

Annoyed? I have to take a deep breath and count to 10, someone is screwing up the Bauhaus page:

Indeed, you do need to take a deep breath, because that’s not anyone screwing up anything. It’s just the old algorithm. Your cache hasn’t been updated yet. This is what I see:

And my avatar shows:

1 Like

Yes, a community-based work has advantages and also disadvantages.
There are some things that I am a little annoyed about, but on the other hand, some things are made easier.
In a few cases I am even positively surprised.

I think there should still be an option to replace the crowd based images with your own.

Ah ok. I thought the band image was replaced for the second time with the logo, but I might be wrong.

This is poorly cropped and judging by the logos in the top left and bottom right corners of the uncropped version it probably belongs to the BBC. :man_facepalming:

Upload a better one :slight_smile:

I actually voted for a logo for the avatar of Bauhaus, because the photographs all suck for a circle crop. I can tell you that 6 people disagree with me and think this blue bg atrocity is better than the logos, and 3 like logos, but not the one I like.

I have 3 profiles, I have separate collections using tags for each and 3 separate people choosing, if you’ll said its not acceptable to use 3 profiles, it didn’t say so before, but yes once we all saw things the same and we all choose to vote only for logos, sometimes together. Mainly just for a change like I said i never believed that all logos would stay forever, I just wanted to see the vision realized and thought other people might see it too, but we weren’t trying to cheat nor force anyone to have logos. I have no problem with having the best photos show up, like I said i pay for roon so I don’t have to do it myself and it still look great. Everyone was stating there opinion and I stated mine, I’m not trying to fight it, I’m willing to go along with making the product “ROON” better.

It also happens to me occasionally that the band photo is not loading on the artist page and it defaults to the avatar (that can be a logo). Going back and clicking on the artist again usually fixes the issue. I don’t know if it’s a performance issue on my side (old NUC…) or Roon cloud backends lagging.

1 Like