Valence Art Director in Roon

I would like to make a system where we can build a rich timeline to celebrate the ups and downs of artists’ lives and careers.

We can seed it with a lot of data out there and build it up ourselves, but I thought people would be interested in adding artists that are important to them, to the system.

Given the massive success of Art Director, I’ve decided to get a bit more ambitious with this project. You all made Roon’s #1 problem (no artist photos) just disappear in less than a few months, and right now, the “long tail” of artists is getting really filled out too.

We are getting closer to “beta” quality release for quantum timelines, and it’s my feeling we will do a much more open beta with this than we did with Art Director.

I’ll announce something here when we are ready.

15 Likes

Cool, just looking forward to time-based images.

Imagine a Bowie based playlist accompanied with time associated images of the man and his personas over the decades.

Same for Bryan Ferry & Roxy
And then the Beatles

Oh, this is going to be so good

(Trust I am not using English, by a native English man (ex-pat in Ireland) in such a way that Americans don’t understand the use of the English they use!)

1 Like

imagine seeing marriages, schools, teachers, siblings, band members, all connected over time…

8 Likes

That sounds like an absolutely epic and groundbreaking project to undertake!!!

1 Like

Art Director is a really cool feature :+1: , but:

1. It would be great to add some helping tools, such as additional guide lines (on/off botton):
  • by center
  • by the rule of thirds
  • by golden ratio
  1. Is it possible to automatically mark (or remove) duplicate images somehow?
    It’s really hard to clean them manually :slight_smile:

2. Set a reasonable limit on the total number of images per artist

Not great but I do all my best :smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Full screen ipad landscape photo

Unfortunately it seems the approval process has not sped up much?

2 Likes

I added a picture for Sophie Pacini , it appeared within 2 days - not too shabby ?

That’s good to hear! It’s still weeks for my uploads.

I must admit I had one go totally missing a while back

Also changing urban landscapes, dress code, fashion style, musicians’ instruments, audience demographics and then how about billboards, flyers (with cost of entry prices) also famous venues and recording studios. Also the different style of fonts over the decades.

Another exciting major development of the unique digital magazine that is one of the key Roon USPs.

it probably got rejected … could have been bad cropping, bad image, or poor quality image, or a copyright ding.

It sped up a lot when we got a bunch of new moderators, but a few have been idle.

We’ll open up the doors to new moderators in early January. You don’t need to apply, invitations will be sent based on successful contributions.

2 Likes

Upload new image option missing for me. What happened?

Which artist?

We are experimenting with removing the upload button if we have too many images for an artist.

I think @joel described it as the “beautiful women” phenomenon… For example, Taylor Swift has hundreds of images in Art Director, so many of which are unnecessary and don’t help produce a better experience. They just kinda clog up the system.

Joel’s comment was especially insightful in the context of Margot Robbie. We had a crazy large number of photos for a relatively irrelevant person in the world of music. She happens to have an executive producer credit for the soundtrack of the film “Birds of Prey.” That’s a credit we filter out as noise because it’s more of a financial role and not a musical role. Ton’s of images for someone we didn’t even show in Roon.

Looks like this is it.

Flagged some duplicates in “needs work” and the upload button appeared.

Mystery solved :grin:

1 Like

I am new to Roon, and after getting the functionality of running the software working and listening to music, I’m now focused on the visual aspect of everything being covered here. There is so much discussion in this post that I can’t read it all, so I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.

To be frank, with as much money as I’m paying to use this software, I should have a choice – I want to choose which banner image (I know I can do this much), which avatar image whether artist or logo, and whether the images are ones I have or ones I select from Valance. What looks good for a banner, thumbnail, or artist avatar is subjective. The effort I’m going to put into creating a visual experience for my view of my library is what I want it to look like. Not what someone else thinks mine should look like.

I like that you have the option to contribute, improve, and vote on images with Valance. It’s a great way to share ideas of what we think looks good. And I’ve seen some great images others have contributed that I would like to use but can’t. Just as I’ve started contributing images I think would be good to use that perhaps others would too.

But I don’t like being forced to use an avatar image. I don’t like not being able to use an avatar image from Valance that I think looks good, but I can’t use it because it didn’t get enough votes? Or worse, it changes to something else that I don’t like because votes swayed to a different image?

The visual aspect of viewing the library is very personal experience. What’s wrong with giving users the ability (ie, a choice) to select an image from Valance they want for their banner, avatar, etc? If we can choose to load our own banner image, why can’t we choose to load our own avatar image?

3 Likes

See the Feature Request I have submitted for setting a preference on the Artist images taken from the Valence engine.

The Request has votes associated with it, but no development activity as yet.

Simon

There is a requirement for a minimum image size uploaded through Art Director of 500 pixels. However, lately I have been noticing a lot of images with 200 pixels or less. How is this possible?
Conversely, IMHO there are some images that have too high resolution, say 8k
Shouldn’t be reasonable set an upper limit on the image resolution?
For me 1920 px is perfect, optimal image width for Roon.