Value of audiophile network switches

Its got nothing to do with the bits and bytes kiddies…unless your hardware fails or a broken cable.

Think of it like your speakers play the same sound and you are happy but someone starts vacuuming in the room and the sound is messed up but the speakers are still paying the same sound. That is what EMI/RFI can do but at a lot lower impact than a vacuum running obviously.

2 Likes

Not really, we have ears. What’s amazing is that people who (probably) haven’t tried it, know what the results are. That’s amazing…

(maybe there’s more to it)

This is clearly the component everyone is missing - the Mother Switch :rofl:.

Or the Mother of All Switches :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I think that looks fine, you are just adding a Network switch where one would be expected to find one. Does this improve the sound in any meaningful way?
This will tell you a lot.

Senses and Abilities. Mother Nature.

How do you know your amp, streamer , cables and speakers are good enough to deliver the said improvements from the switch?

If they are not good enough, you don’t need the switch. I would think, the better your Amp/Streamer the less likely you will need a switch. The analog circuits should be of better design in every respect

2 Likes

Or the other way round…

I’d like to hope not,otherwise, what are you paying for?

I’m definitely not pro-expensive switch but the “bits are bits” comments are not related to what these designers are saying they are trying to tackle… it’s an electrical engineering thing (to them), where they look at potential technical mechanisms that can affect ground planes and analogue signals in playback equipment.

Nobody is talking about missing or better quality bits. The software and networking people always bringing up “bits are bits” give me a headache… as much of a headache as the designers of these expensive switches not showing me hard proof/measurements that DAC analogue outputs are affected !! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Well yes, of course, but there’s also been links to measurements in post #268, that did not show any differences in the analog output down to about -150dB and below, at least as measured with that specific DAC in the setup.

But we have learnt, that measurements don’t matter much to proponents of these devices anyway.

In an older thread, I commented on the EtherRegen’s PCB layout, which didn’t generate much traction either.

Some enthusiasts just care more about equipment accompanied by lots of pseudo-technical prose and nice enclosures.
What’s good about this is, especially in these times, that it keeps at least a couple hungry families from starving…

6 Likes

They probably do but they may be more concerned with improvements in SQ.

And some care more about SQ than pseudo-technical prose about measurements

And here it is where the trouble starts, over and over again.

It’s great that you benefit from your enhanced SQ with the switch of your liking.
I use the switch of my liking and the SQ that comes with it.

Since we use different ears and brains etc., this is a never ending story.
But for me it ends hear, ear, … here : ) enjoy!

As long as people say that others are foolish to hear a difference, you’d expect the hearers to defend their position against ridicule. Why the flat earthers keep coming back with 0s and 1s beats me.

1 Like

In what way does trusting the facts regarding ethernet cables equate to believing the world is flat? I would have thought anyone in the latter camp would be more likely to be swayed by the magic of audiophile switches rather than the other way round.

4 Likes

Refusing to accept progress using “facts” as a base rather than evidence. Most casual evidence suggests the world is flat- just look out of the window.

Apparently not. There is just 0s and 1s after all, how can anything make any difference?

Care to weigh-in on the validity of my proposed experiment? It should provide some objective evidence one way or the other.

1 Like

I’m afraid it is entirely subjective as there is no ability to robustly and independently measure any change in SQ - just what somebody “hears”.

Just what @AudioDreamer hears in fact…with his switch in his setting. But it is a self check to see. If I had 2 identical systems (thinks for a minute oh I do have 2 Lumin D1’s with same powersupply options too) I might do this one day too with my EtherREGEN in play and maybe even a Fibre connected option.

And indeed that is all that is being offered in support of the idea that switches make a difference to sound quality. Again, I’m not knocking your personal experience but it is in no way evidence that existing science and engineering are failing to explain some new phenomenon.