Value of audiophile network switches

Needs testing with an EtherRegen

Interesting reading but I’m happy with my sound now.
But I don’t understand what this noise is people claim to hear, I hear no noise…

How patronising. I think there are other places to discuss objectivity. I’m interested in SQ.

Sure I imagine it.

Nope, definitely sounds better. I’ve been listening seriously since the mid eighties. I have context.

Sure but I wouldn’t expect flat earth’s to believe me. It’s a bit of sport for them, or a religion, or a little exclusive club.

You just described old male staunchly subjectivist audiophiles.

AJ

7 Likes

“debate”, I think, does not accurately describe this thread… :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I will need to see some measurements that prove that before I believe it

1. For your purpose, please make sure you use the same type of network cable to feed the two streamers. In particular, having one shielded and another one being unshielded invalidates the comparison.

2. Although synchronized play helps with A/B testing, it destroys the signal integrity of the slave streamer. Don’t use synchronized playback. Use a single zone only. This does make the comparison more difficult though.

1 Like

Do mind expanding on your thoughts Peter? In my mind this creates two similar RAAT streams without interference?

To keep two or more devices with different clocks in sync, stuffing or dropping of audio samples occur at the slaves(s), unless the DAC has a variable clock to address this (I believe this rules out 99% of audiophile DAC).

Thanks Peter, i realize whatyou are getting at, but are you sure this is how it works with RAAT?
I can group two RAAT zones and simultaneously do volume adjustments to one of them and upsample the other one to DSD? They surely must be individually timed and clocked?

Yes, I’m not questioning that it sounds better, it’s the cause of the difference I’m taking issue with.

Yeah, all the cables will be matched.

I’ll transfer zones instead of synchronizing.

1 Like

$5000CAD for this. Think you will get all that out of it?

And that is their cheapest option, lol. The highest level one (D-TC Supreme) goes for $14,400 USD! Seriously, $14k for an ethernet switch is just as crazy as $30k speaker wires

Haven’t bought one of those switches yet. Bought a new couch and love-seat though. More comfortable seating is a definitely good thing for extended listening sessions… :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, there really are better things to spend money on than switches that probably have a greater input to the enjoyment of music and life in general. A Nice Wine, Spirit or beverage of choice could well be far better value. Then the simple state of being in the right mood to listen…
After all that, if you have spare cash, go buy a switch and try it.

1 Like

Just poured a little liquid comfort to enhance tonight’s listening session. Cheers…

2 Likes

Second hand CISCO 2960, £40? Now it’s the other way round…£40 to find out what the fuss is about. Probably get most of the gain.

Could be, spend £40 to find out.

2 Likes