Value of audiophile network switches

Charles, for starters, there’s no mystique in PHY layer. It’s simply the physical layer in networking, i.e. the hardware. Ethernet doesn’t transmit noise down the cable. Noise is rejected at both ends of the chain. It uses differential pairs feeding a differential amplifier. RJ45 sockets have isolation transformers as well as a type of transformer known as a common-mode choke.

z6Gsw

You’re regurgitating the pseudo-scientific witterings of the snake-oil peddlers here.

Mass delusion, yup totally agree with that. Their marketing is fantastic, but there’s no solid science or engineering to back up the manufacturer’s/seller’s claims.

The EtherREGEN is a nonsense product - a solution to a non-existent problem. Common electrical engineering sense says it’s a nonsense product. Amir at ASR proved it with his $28,000 Audio Precision analyser.

Following your thought processes, why is the $3500 Innuos ridiculous? If you don’t need all of those inputs, you probably don’t need a switch. Your router probably has enough ports on it already.

6 Likes

And again, you’ve actually listened to the etherRegen? No, didn’t think so…

I’m out, but I’ll say I find the whole ‘snake oil peddlers’ meme to be quite insulting to some very fine businesses. But you be you.

If it we’re all down to Amir and his measurements, we may as well not even bother with the cheap Chinese DAC’s he likes so much and just listen to our iPhones as they measure up pretty good in comparison. Oh, wait, Amir doesn’t actually listen to anything he reviews despite owning and selling $$$ gear to well heeled suburbanites. Why does he even have a home audio consulting and installing biz when he could just tell them to order a Topping, some cheap Class D amp and Elac Debuts and Amazon Basics cabling because that’s all one needs according to the cult of ASR. Who’s the actual snake oil peddler?

Sorry I waded in, going to listen to some music now and get some work done. Don’t forget it’s bandcamp Friday where 100% of your purchase goes to the artist. Probably where we should all be spending our money at this time anyway…

5 Likes

No, I haven’t listened to the EtherREGEN, because firstly there’s no sound engineering basis on which it could work and Amir saved me the trouble. His OBJECTIVELY SCIENTIFIC TESTS and listening impressions said it all.

Oh my giddy aunt… Fine businesses? Businesses, who shill products that do nothing, to unsuspecting customers who don’t know any better? Spare me.

Careful, you’re beginning to sound petulant and childish here.

Amazon basics cabling is all you need, especially in the digital domain. If it doesn’t work for you, there’s a no-quibble return policy

The music is what it’s really about and during these unprecedented times, many artists are struggling and need all the support they can get.

6 Likes

I have Blue Jeans Cat6a throughout and it sounds superior to cheap basic printer cable.

And yes, they are fine businesses whether you believe in their products or not. If they were a scam that took people’s money and just absconded with it (LH Labs for example) then it would be a different matter. They have families to feed just as you and I do, and consumers aren’t stupid, esp in this day and age of instant communication. Sorry, but your constant refrain about snake oil is what comes off as petulant.

But, you know whatever. I’m glad you are confident and happy in the sound of your setup as I am in mine. This is going nowhere otherwise.

There’s no audible difference between cables that meet the Cat6A specification. Having said that, Blue Jeans cables are competently made and don’t break the bank, so knock yourself out.

Just because someone has a family to feed doesn’t make them honest. Al Capone had a family.

Lots of consumers are stupid. In today’s age of vast information and instant communication, people still make decisions based on emotion, not fact. There’s a lot of research that proves it.

6 Likes

The old saying, you buy with emotion and then justify with logic…

4 Likes

A Forest Gump quote springs to mind.

1 Like

That’s really insulting. Just because you don’t believe in something or believe that it has value (that you haven’t actually experienced) doesn’t make it criminal. To me MQA sounds worse than Redbook in most cases, but that doesn’t make Bob Stuart Bugsy Malone (ok, many will say MQA is borderline criminal, for sure). There’s plenty of things in the world that don’t have value to me but do to others (and aren’t ‘measurable’) but I don’t call them criminal. Sheesh…

Ah the old I’m so insulted ploy to change the subject.

2 Likes

Well we line in a world thriving for measuring everything. But sometimes there is more to that - for example how to measure / judge a car‘s driving experience? There are so many components as well as interactions.

It‘s still (that could be achieved to be measured too) a thing to many HiFi enthusiasts wondering why amp/CD player combos sound better than the equivalent digital setup.
Although digital streaming should be „more sophisticated“ but it turns out in the end the sonic performance is mostly not even on par. So there is a lot to be discovered still.

1 Like

Charles, why don’t we just agree to disagree before our discourse descends into churlishnes?

4 Likes

Agreed. As it is we’re both a bit ridiculous to be arguing over something on a forum dedicated to a product that 99.99% of the world would probably think useless and a waste of money as it it.

Markus, that’s a very subjective statement. Care to back it up with any evidence?

EDIT: perhaps I’m being unfair - apparently, some forms of jitter, to which CD players are much more subject than any digital stream do actually sound quite pleasing :astonished:

2 Likes

Not this one. My digital playback chain blasts my CD playback right out of the water.

2 Likes

That is an observation by many people worldwide, also running some systems parallel.
It doesn’t seem „logical“ in the first place when you have a bit-perfect chain from lossless or highres files, a solid player like Roon and everything connected by Ethernet cables with no losses too.

But still people keep wondering why the „former“ CD player/amp combo provided better results that the same digital streamer/amp combo.
Maybe it’s the DAC in the CD players (though they should be more sophisticated knowadays) or there is somewhere else in that path were digital streaming is more vulnerable.
That would be very interesting what the research is telling about it and I am sure there must have been already many who tried to solve this puzzle.

Well of course it depends which setups you compare. What was yours like?

I replaced a 2-box Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player with a Sonos Connect a few years back. In blind A/B/X, I couldn’t tell the difference. I bought the Opus used after reading a review by 6Moons. It’s liberating when you realise that most DACs sound the same.

1 Like

CD: Cambridge Audio CXC via SPDIF to my Hegel H190’s DAC
Digital player: Lumin T2 via XLR to Hegel H190. Roon core is on a Mac mini, files on a Synology NAS + Tidal streaming. (and a cheapo Netgear GS108 switch :wink:).

The difference in SQ is very substantial (in favour of the T2 of course).

Different price points of course, and different DACs. But it shows that broad statements about CD being better than digital are not particularly helpful.

Yes, that’s me included because I think ER is a waste of money.

Umm, I was referring to Roon software, but thanks anyway.