Value of audiophile network switches

2 Likes

I have this and loads of music and plenty of beer :nerd_face::+1:

This feeds my SOtM switch which also has the external clock input

Sounds terrific!

3 Likes

If you can hear a difference in cables like ethernet, USB, power and interconnects then you can hear a difference with network switches. Those that say there are no differences probably canā€™t hear them and should find another hobby.

I have an Innuos Statement and definitely hear a difference with both ethernet cables and switches. I have an Etherregen, SOtM switch and English Electric 8Switch. The Etherregen and 8Switch have trial periods so no risk except return shipping.

Another product I found that is amazing is the Network Acoustics ENO Ag filter. Network Acoustics also offers a trial.

I am running fiber between the SOtM and Etherregen.

Read into it what you will but I have kept all of the above. I find each brings a different and often complimentary benefit.

4 Likes

Do you mean to sound arrogant?

15 Likes

Agreed, Music enjoyment is my hobby not tinkering around with kit, cables and caboodlesā€¦
I bought a decent system (Meridian DSP SE) and donā€™t believe I need anything more.

2 Likes

If the hobby you mention is voodoo i can agree. If it is music not. The differences are not an acoustic thing, it is psychologic.

9 Likes

Andreas, like you I am just being direct and stating my view.

I want to say I think there are more than a few self perceived pundits claiming cables are cables and not worth looking for differences. Itā€™s really too bad as they likely are creating uncertainty and inhibiting folks from experimenting and upgrading. My point was I have found switches can be a weak link or strength in a system, just like cables.

Just trying to pass along some knowledge I have found to the next guy brother.

Chris,

To each their own.

I enjoy music and I enjoy discovering benefits that tinkering brings.

In a way I am envious of your satisfaction. I think I need a 12 step program.

1 Like

Hey brother, lets just agree to disagree.

1 Like

Snake Oil.
If you have money to spend and donā€™t know what to do, buy such a switch.
Otherwise, bits are just bits !

2 Likes

Why donā€™t you just buy one and try it? Asking people will only get you the same argument we have here, which can be found in thousands of threads about every kind of audio related device. For my part, I have no idea how cables could make a difference in sound quality so many years ago I bought a PS Audio cable expecting to hear no difference and prove myself right. When I hooked it up I was totally shocked. It sounded VERY different and even more surprisingly, WORSE. What I learned is, just try it and find out yourself.

I took the same approach with the Ether Regen and found it to be one of the biggest improvements Iā€™ve ever heard. It was shocking how much better it sounded even though again I expected it to be impossible there would be a difference. The naysayers here will tell you itā€™s confirmation bias. Who cares? Of course itā€™s never confirmation bias when they claim to not hear a difference that they desperately need to not hearā€¦ Just buy one and try it. You can send it back within a month if you donā€™t like it. Whatā€™s snake oil about that?

6 Likes

Not looking to derail the thread too much so sorry for the hijack if it goes that way. I have a network throughout all 3 floors of my house. There are at least 3 switches in play. In my music roomā€™s rack I have a small 8 port hub/switch that feeds my Xilica Active Crossover, OPPO UDP for movies and a couple of streamers to my DACs. Further up stream I have two TP-Link 16 port Gigabit unmanaged switches. They feed all the rest of my network needs.

If, for the sake of argument, we allow the premise that an audio specific switch does help/improve/make different the end resultā€¦do we now conclude that all the switches on the network need to HiFi, not consumer or pro type of gear?

If my ears/bias allow me to hear a difference will I not hear it until all three are replaced? Do I only need the last one before my DACs to ā€œfixā€ my current problems? Will I hear a difference each time I replace one in the chain?

3 Likes

:laughing:
From Wikipedia -

1 Like

Also, see this -

Nice, but I was looking for and answer from the more technical angle. Iā€™m a software guy not a network engineer or hardware guy/gal. So was curious if, again for the sake of argument, we allow the possibility that a purpose built switch does something. Do you need to replace everything to reap the benefits?

I donā€™t claim to tell others what they can and canā€™t hear. But it has been my experience that with speaker wire, specifically the last few inches inside the box between the XO parts and the drivers does not make a difference. Iā€™ve tried high zoot silver, OFC from manufacturer X,Y and Z and the more or less lamp cord that came with several pairs of speakers and no differeneā€¦to me.

I think this question of entire network vs the last few feet are similar. If, perhaps, I replaced all the wire from my amp up to the drivers would it change things? I was not going to tear my walls apart to find out, nor buy enough to lay across the floor.

1 Like

Paul Pang, who makes the switch I referenced above, recommends two of his switches connected in series. He doesnā€™t talk about the before or after of that connection.

You can test the network switch makes a difference theory with a 4k TV. Everyone trusts their eyes. Hook up your 4k TV with the fancy network switch and watch Youtube 4k videos. Then switch in your lowly Netgear switch and I bet you will not see any difference. Just my suggestion.

Ken

5 Likes

But then youā€™re testing a totally different theory, of course. :slight_smile:

Folks who are using a Raspberry Pi endpoint (eg., RoPieee or similar) donā€™t have to buy an EtherREGEN to find out if an audiophile network switch will have an impact in their system. They can simply run the free experiment that I offered earlier. :wink:

Probably not, because itā€™s acting as a ā€˜shieldā€™ - and Iā€™m purposely not going to expand on that.