Vanishing Nucleus + (A) Library

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus + (A) with internal Samsung 4tb 860 Evo SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nucleus + via ethernet into Pakedge 24 port switch and Sky Q Fibre Hub broadband

Connected Audio Devices

RJ45>Trinnov processor + Meridian ID40

Number of Tracks in Library

45000+

Description of Issue

My problems started when I joined the ‘Early Access’ program .Machine behaviour became erratic (eg.“playback failed as file did not load”) and it seemed as if the new software didn’t ‘take’. After trying to fault find the cause and hoping for an update that might return the system to normal operation I relented and returned to production level but unfortunately the main problem has remained . Periodically the track counter counts down from 45k to zero and the internal drive is no longer visible as storage in Roon and remotes report Zero Artists ,Albums , Tracks or Composers .
Occasionally , a complete reboot will return the Storage to the Nucleus + webpage and Settings Storage on the remote listings but this after 2-3 days with no access to music .

Is there a way to return my system to default status and regain control of SSD reliably @support ?

M

Is this vanishing music stored completely on the internal SSD music storage in the Nucleus or are you using streaming services as well and that music also disappears?

Your description reads like it is all locally stored, but just to be sure.

Hi
Yes , all music is on internal ssd . For the last year I no longer use streaming services ( other than Apple Music occasionally outside of Roon) . The counter reduces as if it is databasing again but stops at zero. Rebooting or reinstalling software sometimes triggers a new database and the reappearance of the ssd under General>Storage and the web interface but this can often take a few days to happen.

M

Have you tried reseating the SATA cable to the SSD?

1 Like

Hi
No , I have been reluctant to open Nucleus+ for fear of triggering a re-format. The unit has not moved since install and , while a lot of the music on it is backed up , some newer material has not . Exporting from or adding to the library frequently gets stuck and triggers the dreaded countdown again !

M

Opening the Nucleus is not going to trigger a re-format. I suggest the first step is to try reseating the cable.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a go after work , Thanks for your help

M

Hi
Checked internal cable and it was fine as suspected . Roon Arc has crapped out again . Deleting/Reinstalling app gets it back usually. Collection still extant as I type :crossed_fingers:

M

Hey @Moonloop,

Thanks for your patience as we continue to work through each thread. I wanted to check in and see if you were still running into issues with your library / watched folders disappearing?

If so, can you please take note of the date and time the next time this happens, and share that information here?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Hi Ben ,
It has not happened recently although I’ve only been using it lightly as adding new albums often triggered the dreaded countdown to zero and even with Roon Arc I regularly got ‘poor connection’ notices when trying to play back . I was toying with the idea of trying Early Access again though it did not work reliably last time and when I reverted , the constant folder disappearances kept recurring . I eventually managed to create a new backup and things have settled down for now .

M

Hey @Moonloop,

Thanks for the update, I’ll keep this thread open for now just incase something may pop back up :pray:

Small update with mostly good news . Fewer playback errors and only once has the crash/rebuild occurred in several weeks . One new problem I’ve noticed is with multiple versions of some albums eg. Bonnie Raitt ‘Nick of Time’ which should be available in 16/44.1 and also 24/96 hi-res but instead are both listed as ‘Mixed Formats’ editions where a few tracks from each have been swopped into the other version ! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

M

Came home from work today , installed the latest update , and then faced with this …

I have no idea why this is happening

M

Hey @Moonloop,

Thanks for the note, and I’m sorry to hear you’ve run into some trouble with the recent update. Could you do me a favor and share a screenshot of your Roon Settings>Storage?

With that, if you could first power cycle your Nucleus (completely power down and unplug for a few minutes.) And let me know if you’re still missing your database after rebooting.

Did your Nucleus auto-update? Or, did you update things manually? If you go to Roon Settings>About, does it say you are up to date?

Hi Ben ,
I got the prompt to update and only noticed the lack of a library afterwards . I have already rebooted the Nucleus+ and , unlike earlier, the storage has returned to be displayed .

I really wish I could put an end to this . It’s quite embarrassing when you want to relax and have a session .

Any ideas ?
M

Can you explain this a bit more? What do you mean by ‘returned to be displayed’?

This would be helpful to see.

Can you please confirm this?

This image shows your library properly loaded. Are you back to only running into resolution playback issues?

Lastly, I would suggest refreshing your database and loading a backup to clean things up. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Hi
I will follow your instructions over the weekend. About the storage , when the library disappears so does any mention of Internal Storage on Nucleus+ webpage and also from Roon>Settings >Storage . So I knew once I saw Internal Storage appear on the webpage that the library would reappear!

M

Current Roon>Settings>Storage view after following instructions . Initially , again , it failed to see internal storage but after another Reboot all was well …for now.

M

Hi again ,
Really fed up again , constant 'track failed to load ’ error messages and too many ‘playback failures’ . It seems I get 1 step forward and then 2 back . So , is my music still really on the internal SSD where it has always been or not ?

M

So , today , I am back to zero across the library and ,after a reboot , the storage has reappeared again only this time on Nucleus+ webpage it is labelled in red ‘Not Ready’ and shows 4tb of available space !

Is this the end ? :wink:

M