Version 1.8 improved sound quality

So I decided to try the Link II WiFi connection for kicks and remove the Ethernet cable. I’m sure I’m going crazy but think it sounds better. Hint less bright and richer sounds. The issue is takes about 2 minutes to enable or disable WiFi, so can’t do direct comparison. The fact I think that I hear a difference should make anything I’ve said in past moot. I wouldn’t trust someone like me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If noise is getting to your Streamer and DAC, then the problem lies in your Streamer and DAC. Period.

3 Likes

Airborne RF decreases by the square of its distance (if I still remember what I learned in college). So airborne RF isn’t a concern given how far away my fridge is. Also my audio system is on a different AC circuit from the fridge.

That’s a very uninformed position to hold. I can’t imagine that you really believe that, but what else have you left to say in regards to defending your indefensible position?

1 Like

This is about as wrong a statement as has been put forward in this thread so far, well done! :smiley:

You can’t. Period.

Anyone who bangs-on about Roon sounding different between releases really needs to stop deluding themselves.

8 Likes

You omitted the statement that preceded it: Generally these values are determined by comparing voltages against a reference voltage.

I disagree that what I said was wrong. You haven’t put forth a counter-argument so does that mean you have none to offer?

I was responding to the zeros and ones trope that some put forth. I was trying to explain it in a way that made it more real for an individual who actually doesn’t seem to get that we’re dealing with analog waveforms here.

Back when I was using Auralic Aries streamer, I noticed something similar - that WiFi might have been a little better. The real difference maker though was fiber.

A better/easier test to try is to have someone pull your ethernet cable while you have your eyes closed and are listening.

Oh I only dip in and out of these kind of threads nowadays, my life is too short to engage more. So yeah I have a counter argument but I can’t be bothered. But you keep on keeping on…

Well none of that matters since I got drop outs with WiFi, so back to Ethernet. I’m back to testing Squeezelite again. Funny thing is I’m one the few who actually believe you about the differences but just don’t think it’s a big of deal as you’re making out to be. I get a bigger difference in sound if I’ve had a little bit of scotch while I listen. For those that are wondering, sounds better with scotch :slight_smile:

Nice deflection! Bucket #3 for sure.

1 Like

It’s all just for the craic

You definitely have the better DAC, but maybe if we compared the rest of our chains the reason why the difference is more profound to me will become clear. You mentioned having an HMS, for example. Despite what Chord says, this sucker generates enough RF to harm the music. Far worse than the harm I’ve attributed to Roon. If you haven’t addressed that, for example, the harm it does will hinder your ability to hear the harm Roon does.

Another thing I do here is run fiber ethernet. It’s been quite optimized too where it has significantly lowered the noise floor. All of these things add up. As I mentioned in one of my first posts, not everyone will have a system that reveals the harm Roon does.

I pity @Ken_Bauernfreund, I have also tried to explain things to some people but some people just don’t want to learn.

But here is one aspect of software that affects sounds: a CPU (and GPU) generates electronic noise, more usage means more noise, more noise means worse sound quality when it’s inside the DAC. Roon has also written about this on a couple of pages (links are above). In fact, its probably the main reason why Roon came up with the endpoint-concept.

And also, the way the software uses the DAC will have an impact how much electronic noise the DAC/USB interface generates internally. This can be things like how to prevent buffer underruns/overruns, etc.

2 Likes

It sure was refreshing to see a reply from someone not drinking the bit perfect kool-aid.

Epistemic closure is what we’re dealing with when a belief system when individuals who hold it believe they know all they think there is to know about the topic. They close themselves off to any new information so it’ll never get through to some folks that sound quality depends on more than just bit perfect transmission.

I’m still having fun despite not getting anywhere with the conversation. [Moderated].

3 Likes

My favorite chestnut is the ol’ my setup ‘sounds great to me, no more to be done as bits are bits, so you must be hearing things.’

Yeah, so does the Sonos Play 1, on top of the microwave in the kitchen, to my wife. She wants nothing to do with Roon. Personally I’ll take my optimized audiophile setup, where I can hear differences that aren’t supposed to be heard [moderated] due to my careful selection of components, power supplies, cables, and networking gear.

1 Like

Some people know better than to learn the irrelevant nonsense that’s being dished out in this thread.

I hook the mscaler up with a Poweradd battery which stops any RFI from passing thru. But I think my system performs at such a level that it already past what my expectations could have ever been. I see no need to spend any more on my system. I still use stock power cord and just $20 Amazon usb cable. Sounds exactly same as stock cable. As said, at some point all these tweaks reach the point of ocd. At some point you just need to stop and enjoy the music. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole further than I wanted to already.

1 Like

Amen (10char)

2 Likes

At good last some reason in this thread where so much angst-ridden audiophile neurosis comes to the surface.

1 Like