Vertical scrolling [Done in Roon 1.8]

Or maybe it’s not high on the dev priority list. Or wrapped up in other UI changes or …

Magnificent understatement.

This request is wedged between: “Copy Elon Musk’s fart noises screen Easter Egg” and “Introduce a DSP mode which recreates the sound of being stuck down Buffalo Bill’s well in Silence of the Lambs”.

2 Likes

I was hoping that the Elon Musk fart noises easter egg would be higher up the list by now - that’s been years we’ve been waiting for that feature.

If it’s good enough for Tesla…

Start ze bandwagons.

I just realized something, i choose to use other playback software rather than Roon due to this “paging”-method, alongside the lack of a portrait mode view…
I have basically the same library loaded into Lightning DS (Auralic) and BluOS (Bluesound) and actually prefer to browse my albums in either of these apps where both the scolling works better, quick navigation using alpabetical navigation aids and the portrait view makes them preferable (to me…)

I also prefer the general feel of these native iOS-apps over Roon’s version.

1 Like

Same here, I’m more comfortable using the Naim app to browse my own library. Vertical scrolling, with list view, not grid/thumbnail view, is what works for me.

Had Roon a year now and still can’t get on with the horizontal scrolling. I’m an old dog, so not up to new tricks. It’s still a pain for me.I hate it!

2 Likes

Interestingly, in contrast, I never even think about it.

1 Like

Me too ! Hate it !

There are two issues that need to be addressed: vertical rotation of the entire app in portrait mode, and vertical scrolling within the app. I’d be happy if it could switch to portrait mode as a first step.

1 Like

This has been on the roadmap for quite some time now, but I’m beginning to get rather disillusioned with the Roon team as it’s just been ignored ad infinitum, with no indication of it ever been adjusted, despite many request for change here. It’s not a headline grabbing feature, so my guess that it’s just been ignored. It’s annoying, and for me restricts my Roon’s usability. Come on guys, own up, just let us know if/when it’s going to get fixed!

I guess if you read about the organisation it says we have no offices , so that’s developers all over the place doing their own thing leading to a mis mash of inconstant developments.

As a new users I’m seeing lots of request for improvement on the forum which are not acknowledged.

What is required is a thread where fixes are displayed with a fix date.

Of course the issue is if you have lifetime membership they have had all your money, if people were on yearly and things don’t improve you have options to move on.

I’ve paid for a year, if it’s still the same the funding will be removed, it gives you great options although a greater cost long term.

1 Like

Given that many music apps allow you to toggle between grid view and list view at will (almost invariably with vertical scrolling) I’m at a loss to understand why this would be anything more than a trivial fix for Roon.

I would bet this is part of the eventual UI revision. Perhaps I’m an optimist, but when I see a choice made to implement new features (New Releases for You) with vertical scroll rather than sideways swipe I like to believe its a forward-looking choice rather than an accident.

Oh, please - give the team a bit more credit than that, fer gawd’s sake. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Sorry Geoff but as a new user about to subscribe that’s the message you get reading this forum.
If that’s not what you want, the developers need to deliver against the many comments about inconsistent user interfaces on the forum and the amount of time people have been waiting for the request.

They are a small but disciplined development team. In a few posts @danny has mentioned their development processes.

It’s fine to be frustrated both with the product and the forum, but I don’t think you should make comments about their development process.

Support does respond to support requests. Roon in general does not talk much about what is coming next, and they know that it frustrates people.

1 Like

Hi @Phil_Ryan
It would probably be a mistake to infer Roon doesn’t care based solely on some forum feedback. We are on version 500-something, and there really is one iteration for each version. There are something like 50 or more versions between releases that are getting tested behind the scenes.
The releases reflect things Roon wants in their product, features users asked for, and lots of bug fixes. If Roon responded to every query or feature request nothing would get done.
It is certainly true some important features (e.g. Roon Mobile) have not delivered, likely due to technical challenge, and other features (like vertical scrolling) have taken longer than some have liked. But it’s not a fair statement to say the Roon team don’t care and don’t deliver.
Fellow users hope you’ll give Roon whirl and judge for yourself. As you said, if it doesn’t meet your expectations you are free to leave. I suspect you’ll find there is an awful lot to like, despite shortcomings.

1 Like

No where have i stated they don’t care and don’t deliver…

I said they need to deliver against the comments, or at least confirm where a request stands.
I have left my trail in place and will take the year to see how it goes.

Think I’ll just monitor this forum now, and use it as a satisfaction barometer.

Please don’t forget that are also a lot of people loving the horizontal scrolling.
In my opinion horizontal is more natural on a touchscreen device. It is like flipping through a book.
So, blaming Roon for not fullfilling YOUR wish, dosn’t automaticaly mean Roon is not listing to their customers. Maybe they listen to customers with another opinion.

4 Likes