Vertical scrolling [Done in Roon 1.8]

Of course some may like the horizontal scrolling. But unfortunately for you, and them, it’s out of step with the rest of the world. When I’m reading this forum - and doing just about anything else on my MacBook and other devices - guess what? I’m scrolling vertically.

1 Like

I don’t get the consternation horizontal scrolling of albums causes. I have zero issues with the scrolling on my iPad. I didn’t have a problem with it on day one and I don’t have problem with it now.

If it were vertical scrolling, or Roon changed it to vertical scrolling, I would be fine with that too.

It’s just no that hard…

2 Likes

Also we have the drag bar across the bottom to quickly scan to where we like.

Inconsistent UX is the issue. It’s a bag of spanners at the moment. Half the app scrolls vertically, then Hello!, some horizontal scrolling for all the reasons, then back to vertical.

Try using this on non-touch devices. It’s dreadful.

2 Likes

You mean like on my iMac? No issues there either. That little scroll wheel on my mouse works wonders.

Comments like “It’s dreadful.” are hyperbole. UI inconsistencies are just part of life. Well, my life anyway. I have experienced them with every computing device I have ever used starting with my wonderful Apple ][ + back in the day.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want Roon to improve the UI. Because I do and I think they can. I just don’t think vertical scrolling is a major issue.

2 Likes

I’ll hyperbole you up and down our stairs nowinaminute.

Here’s 3 examples that highlight what a mess it is:

Overview screen: All scrolls vertically
Album or Artist browse: All scrolls horizontally. Okaaaaay.
Individual artist screen: Part vertical, part horizontal. erm…

3 Likes

I hear what people say, but I don’t have any issues with it. It’s not rocket science to get used to it.

Yes, all three are great examples and all three I have easily adapted to and have no issues navigating the data presented…on my iPad or my iMac.

Again, Roon could certainly improve this aspect of the UI but it is not anything even remotely meeting the standard of “dreadful” for me.

Nor to get it fixed.

1 Like

FWIW…I would much rather have vertical…or better yet…a choice.
Some people have a different opinion and others get a bit frustrated by it. No worries especially if Roon allow us to chose.

For me, it’s not broken. Choices for people are always good though. Then the cry’s of ‘Why is it so complicated to set up’ will ring out.

consistency would be good, the variable behaviour is poor design and apathy.

4 Likes

Why are some people concerned with vertical scrolling so much? Who cares?? Needless whinging IMO.

1 Like

Agreed!

An alternative explanation would be evolving design and conserving resources for a more global section redesign.

There may have been good reasons for the original horizontal scroll, but the more universal norm is vertical scrolling. NRFY is now vertically scrolled, and the mixed behavior does mess me up as often as once or twice a day. But life is too short to get nuts about little stuff.

Well, because it doesn’t work well on android devices. A lot of the time the bleeping screen snaps back.

Who’s the bigger whinger, the whinger or the whinger whinging about the whinger?

Regardless, this is the most liked feature request across the entire platform and it’s on the roadmap.

1 Like

Is it really? Wow, if that’s so then I must be missing something that others feel is important. Fair enough.

As an iPad user I’ve not had any issues, although my Android phone won’t work together with my iPad - one as controller, one as endpoint.

Yesterday I took all the threads in this section, sorted them by replies and checked the OP of each one with over a hundred. This thread has over 47 likes which puts it over double any other feature request on here.

So that 13 day old meta thread can jog on :smiley: Exhibit A

:fist::sweat_drops:

2 Likes

Looks like someone has a little too much time on their hands :rofl:

For me the horizontal scrolling is so annoying that I dont use Roon. When and if they will fixt this I will consider it again. Hey Roon! You are losing money!

1 Like