Very high CPU load on MAC

This problem is old, support is unable to solve. Really disappointed.

Catalina iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
Nucleus+

1 Like

It is disappointing effectively!

My specs are as follow:
Mac Mini 2018
6 core 3.2Ghz i7
32 gig ram
OSX Catalina

1 Like

Hi - posting my experience in case it helps other community members or devs.

I have a recent model iMac (8 core i9 running Catalina) with a wired network connection. It runs Roon remote while the core runs on a high powered intel NUC.

For the first month of running Roon remote on on this machine the CPU ran very high 9 out of 10 times I started it.

I read a thread about how changing the network connection can help.

While Roon was still running and the wired network connection remained active I also enabled (and then disabled) the wifi network connection.

Immediately the CPU usage fell from 320% to 4% and stayed that way.

That was 2 months ago. Since then CPU usage has stayed low 9 out of 10 times I start Roon.

On the 1 out of 10 occasions I start Roon and the CPU goes high I can fix it in a few seconds by enabling and disabling wifi again.

Thanks a lot for the tip I’ll make sure to give it a try next time this happens.
You see, I rebooted my mac 2 days ago and didn’t get CPU issue since then! Go figure, last time I tried that I don’t recall it making a difference.

Hello All,

Please see Dylan’s update on this issue here:

Hi Mark,

I experienced a high CPU issue today, flicked wifi on and off a few times and the CPU got back to normal. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Dear @noris

FYI: Another mac later and countless updates to ROON this issue persists. I constantly have over 200% processor most of the time when ROON is open - even after fresh reboots, essentially making it impossible to use software i Paid for.

I would just cancel Roon at this point, alas I’ve paid the lifelong subscription and all I can hope for is that by the end of this life Roon will have fixed this obnoxious bug.

Honestly, Really disappointed.

3 Likes

Hello Roon.
I’m experiencing the same issues as everyone here. As it occurs on several different types of Mac, I guess it’s not a hardware problem but a software integration with Mac OS.
I can read messages from 1 year and a half now on the same problems and nothing happens.
Really disappointing.
Can you please Roon do something ?
Thanks

you should write in the main thread High CPU Usage on Mac Mini 2018

High CPU Usage on Mac Mini 2018 use that one, it is the main one.

It is to the best of my understanding a network related issue where Roon can’t handle certain exceptions. What exactly happens is beyond my knowledge - I would however wish Roon would take a more active approach to figuring this out rather than hope it will just get better…

Perhaps in some cases but not in mine. I get the same problem whether I’m running on the network or completely local. In July it will be 2 years since I first reported it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.